Pickpocket and Stealing

TorNyan

Hey modders!
So in my opinion, the player should be rewarded for stealing. Why not change the pickpocket skill to a robbery skill that will progress for each successful steal, weather it's by pickpocketing or simply taking an item from someone's table without getting caught. The skill tree for pickpocketing could be renamed and modified as to affect both stealing and pickpocket.

The most simplest thing that I would really appreciate would be a mod that that featured pickpocket skill progression by simple stealing, similar to as how Ars Metallica added so that tanning, mining and smelting grants smithing skill progression. This way stealing will be more fun and feel more rewarding. :)

Happy modding!

Actually, "Robbery" is holding someone up with a weapon - like a Highwayman, Footpad or a Mugger. I think there are mods that allow that already. I don't know if they increase a skill, though.

But I do agree with the idea of Pickpocket being used for "sleight of hand" things, such as stealing something from a counter top or shelf in a shop in full sight of the store owner. You used to be able to do things like that in TES games. Maybe if you are in Sneak mode and cannot be seen, you can take things and if not caught you get some XP towards Pickpocket skill.

But not if you are in an empty room and there is no one who can catch you. That would be truly Naff.

And when in the Merchant's Inventory screen, you have a chance to lift something using the Pickpocket skill, with a penalty based on size, weight and value. You should be able to palm something like a gem with a reasonable chance of him not noticing, but not a Daedric cuirass.

You could still have the option for Robbery, but then you would be marked as a criminal even if you get away with it and the goods marked as stolen.

That Ars Metallica mod is grossly overpowered - you should not be able to boost smithing that much without actually creating items made of metal.

~.~

Actually, "Robbery" is holding someone up with a weapon - like a Highwayman, Footpad or a Mugger. I think there are mods that allow that already. I don't know if they increase a skill, though.

Well, I guess robbery wasn't the right word then. Just stealing.

That Ars Metallica mod is grossly overpowered - you should not be able to boost smithing that much without actually creating items made of metal.

I like it though. Perhaps Ars Metallica mod could be tweaked as to give a little less progression towards smithing for smelting, since the skill is focused on the actual smithing, but I agree to the statement of the author:

"After all, that's as important as knowing how to shape it once refined."

And to me it feels sort of worthless and unexciting to do these things without any progression. The same goes with cooking.

Edited by TorNyan

I like it though. Perhaps Ars Metallica mod could be tweaked as to give a little less progression towards smithing for smelting, since the skill is focused on the actual smithing, but I agree to the statement of the author:

"After all, that's as important as knowing how to shape it once refined."

And to me it feels sort of worthless and unexciting to do these things without any progression. The same goes with cooking.

Yeah, it came up in a friends group a while back - one of us uses it as she is a compulsive Thief player and likes to smith her own lock picks. The rest of us thought it was overpowered because that basic premise of the mod is all wrong and would massively boost your Smithing score for no valid reason, considering how much time you spend doing that stuff. Another one of us tried it and didn't like the way Smithing increased too fast.

How many iron miners are also Master Metal smiths? None? One?

How many Gold miners are also Master Goldsmiths? None?

How many Steel workers are also Master Weaponsmiths? None?

Why?

Because digging ore out of the ground is the job of a miner and has absolutely Feck All to do with metal smithing, gem cutting or being a jeweller?

Because smelting ore into ingots, as they do at an iron foundry or steel mill, has got absolutely Feck All to do with weapon smithing or being an armourer, bowyer or fletcher?

Why should digging ore out of the ground or smelting ore into metal ingots give you ANY skill at all in making intricate jewellery or making weapons and armour?

The thing is, it doesn't. That's the reason I don't use it. I am not slagging it off, I just don't go for mods that make things easier. There are other mods as well that give XP for smelting old armour down into ingots, but it's too unrealistic for me and too cheaty. You might as well just use the console to increase your skill or stand there spamming jewellery.

Personally, I'd prefer a Smithing mod that adds perks for Fine Metalsmith (copper, bronze, moonstone etc), Silversmith, Goldsmith, Jeweller and Gem Cutter which you have to get before you can even make jewellery. You can make plain rings, chains and circlets with Fine Metalsmith, Silversmith and Goldsmith and need the Jeweller perk to make amulets, rings and circlets with gems set into them and the Gem Cutter perk to make normal gems into flawless and make more expensive jewellery. THAT would then increase your Smithing skill. Mages might be able to focus on those aspects and Arcane Smithing instead of weapons and armour. I was thinking of making one but I've been too busy with other stuff.

IMO, Skyrim is far too easy as it is without making it even easier. :yucky:

No offence to you or the mod authors, I just prefer mods that increase difficulty and realism rather than make it easier. If you like it, that's fine, it's no skin of my nose! :no:

But I do like the idea of being able to Pickpocket a Merchant's inventory, getting XP for stealing when in Sneak mode if there is someone there who could catch you and being able to do hold-ups and robberies; I just don't think you should get any XP for taking something from an unlocked chest in an empty room.

But who knows, someone might make it for you. :thumbsup:

But the reward for tanning and mining and cooking is the stuff you get that you can then use legitimately in-game. With Realistic Needs and Diseases, there are all sorts of useful food items, such as Fish Soup that Cures all Diseases, as well as things that boost attributes for a time.

~.~