Vortex and Privacy?

Dmitri5
Go to solution Solved by Dark0ne,

Hey.

I read the terms of service for the nexus mods website.

However this has nothing to do with vortex mod manager.

Can anyone explain to me what data is being tracked by Vortex and how is it used, is it shared or sold to google or facebook?

Is there an opt-out option?

I think Vortex is a super useful modmanager, better than the old nexus mod manager, however i do have privacy concerns.

To be honest the amount of servers www.nexusmods.com shares data with is insane.

Have a look here: https://pagexray.fouanalytics.com/q/www.nexusmods.com?f=

Guest deleted34304850

i'd be more concerned about what data your browser shares with the world than a mod manager.

Hey.

I read the terms of service for the nexus mods website.

However this has nothing to do with vortex mod manager.

Can anyone explain to me what data is being tracked by Vortex and how is it used, is it shared or sold to google or facebook?

Is there an opt-out option?

I think Vortex is a super useful modmanager, better than the old nexus mod manager, however i do have privacy concerns.

To be honest the amount of servers www.nexusmods.com shares data with is insane.

Have a look here: https://pagexray.fouanalytics.com/q/www.nexusmods.com?f=

Yeah i have noticed how vortex shows me this disgusting popup all the time "login to your nexus mods account to get the best experience", honestly experience is nothing but a stupid scam, the real world should be tracking because that's all what it is about. Imagine being so lazy to login to your account do directly download mods instead of downloading them from the website with a vpn to maintain your privacy, dont get me started on this, its disgusting. I will check the link you sent...

i'd be more concerned about what data your browser shares with the world than a mod manager.

No. I am not concerned about that. I configured my browser settings and config settings for a good privacy standard. Nothing more i can do expect using a vpn.

I didnt came here to speak about browsers too, this is about vortex and what data it collects.

Atleast i blocked network access for vortex, no phone home for you =)

Guest deleted34304850

No. I am not concerned about that. I configured my browser settings and config settings for a good privacy standard. Nothing more i can do expect using a vpn.

I didnt came here to speak about browsers too, this is about vortex and what data it collects.

here's the thing;

our

1. google and facebook and whomever you like don't need to "buy" information. i mean, seriously, they run the entire internet - why would they "buy" information, and why would nexusmods "sell" that information and what would the information consist of? this is a mod hosting site - are you really concerned that google will know if you downloaded some titty mods?

2. vortex is open source - that means its entirely possible for you to fork the codebase, and remove all the chunks of code that "sell" your information to the illuminati.

vortex manages mods - at a high level it unpacks an archive and copies files from directory x to directory y. that's it. that's what modding is. at a high level.

if you think that vortex is literally a gateway from you and your mod download history to our lizard overlords, simply don't use it and do the unpack/copy manually. it's really not that hard to do. then you're invisible to the fifth column and can live in peace.

however, if you're on the internet, then despite the warm fuzzy you've given yourself about "configuring your browser" your isp - the connection from your under sea bunker at the end of the world to nexusmods have captured your data and there you go.

Atleast i blocked network access for vortex, no phone home for you

Worst case, worst case - what data do you think Vortex could collect?

The games you have installed and the mods you have downloaded?

Source of the mods is only available if it came from Nexusmods.

This is really a privacy issue?

Is this a real question?

I can only guess here, which mods and games are installed and downloaded, data about the device such as operating system and hardware components, ip adress, programs installed on the computer, configuartion settings, maybe all that and alot more. or maybe none of that, the point is i dont give a . what data is being collect, vortex does not have to collect ANY data at all period.

So to anser your question, yes it is a privacy issue whenever ANY service or program collects and shares personal data, the content of the data does not matter, this is about the fact itself that data is being collected.

here's the thing;

our

1. google and facebook and whomever you like don't need to "buy" information. i mean, seriously, they run the entire internet - why would they "buy" information, and why would nexusmods "sell" that information and what would the information consist of? this is a mod hosting site - are you really concerned that google will know if you downloaded some titty mods?

2. vortex is open source - that means its entirely possible for you to fork the codebase, and remove all the chunks of code that "sell" your information to the illuminati.

vortex manages mods - at a high level it unpacks an archive and copies files from directory x to directory y. that's it. that's what modding is. at a high level.

if you think that vortex is literally a gateway from you and your mod download history to our lizard overlords, simply don't use it and do the unpack/copy manually. it's really not that hard to do. then you're invisible to the fifth column and can live in peace.

however, if you're on the internet, then despite the warm fuzzy you've given yourself about "configuring your browser" your isp - the connection from your under sea bunker at the end of the world to nexusmods have captured your data and there you go.

Here's the thing;

1. Your example about titty mods was pretty degenerated, congrats on that.

You are basically saying someone who downloads nude modes might be scared of data collection while people who download normal mods have no reason to be scared, well that's total bull****.

Be it google or facebook or nexusmods none of them has to collect data period.

Now youre going to say google and facebook don't care they collect the data anyway, wrong they only collect what you allow them to collect, so don't user their services and block them whenever possible and create an anonymous identity. These big-tech corporations are criminals and they are only allowed to continue their criminal activites because majority of internet users is stupid enough to allow it.

There are enough alternatives.

2. Vortex is open source? Good, but i do not speak code language, besides it would take a while to read all the sourcecode.

3. Another hilarious fuzzy comment from the guy with the prideprofile, if you beleve that some "lizard overlords illuminati" are the secret elite you should see a doctor and get some meds.

I created this thread to have a discussion about vortex data collection, not to have a degenerated talk about "lizard overlords illuminati".