Enemies are only attacking with their fists - no weapons

ltknight88

The NPCs I'm fighting clearly have weapons equiped. But when we start to fight, they unequip the weapon and come at me like we are in a brawl.

I've not changed my mods or my load order in about a week. Everything was working fine.

Yesterday I went around doing unarmed attacks on several Forts around Skyrim. Stealth Unarmed attacks so I could watch the kill cam.

I noticed that some of the stormcloaks would put away their sword and fight me hand to hand. I thought it was a cool touch. Nord fighters fighting man to man. Unarmed combat.

But some would still shoot arrows at me.

Then today, I'm dungeon diving and all the drauger put their sword or ax away and try to punch me.

Lydia is now doing it too. Even though she has the same sword she's always had.

So what the heck should I do??

Has anyone ever heard of this bug before?

And could it be triggered because I did a lot of unarmed fighting yesterday??

Thanks!

LTK

Okay - I figured it out and thought I'd share.

I'd been playing with the creation kit and increased my Unarmed damage to 100. I did not realize that the game sees "unarmed" as a weapon. so the enemy NPCs were actually attacking me with their weapon that had the highest base damage at 100. Their Unarmed. That is why they'd still use magic and arrows when at a distance. But not swords etc.

Interestingly - when the NPCs were hitting me with their unarmed, it did not seem like it was doing 100 damage. My character has 600 health, so it should only have taken a few hits and I'd be dead.

If you want to increase your own Unarmed damage, another way to do it is to give yourself the Khajit claws spell. And you can also mod that in the ckit.

• 3 years later...