External Doors Need Fixing

Skybroom

I've recently noticed external doors in Solitude always open 'from' Player no matter where you are: indoors or outdoors.

I guess it comes from the animation where actor push the door.

Nonetheless it seems weird to me for two reasons.

1. Same door can't open in both directions (at least not in medieval-like Skyrim).

2. Exterior doors in public buildings should be of outward opening. For safety reasons.

Skyrim doors, those connecting interior and exterior (worldspace) cells would always open outwards when you are inside, and they would always open inwards when you are outside.

Temple of Divines entrance door, Castle Dour, Blue Palace, Winking Skeever in Solitude, Mistveil Keep in Riften - that's what I checked. I bet all the external doors in Skyrim do that.

It is obvious to me that the correct way of opening the external door when you are outside and going to enter the building is to pull the door leaves. Whe you are inside the building you can push the door, that is what the dafault game correctly suggests.

The solution as I see it:

1. Duplicate the model

(for example:
meshes\architecture\solitude\doors\slgdoor01.nif)

2. Rename and Edit it so it opens in the opposite direction than the original one.

3. Replace the Base model for the exterior 'version' of the door by changing the reference in Tes5Edit.

As I have neither knowledge nor experience on editing this type of meshes, I am addressing the suggesion to those with knowledge, experince and will to do that.

Edited by Skybroom