New to modding, need help

Akymo

I don't even know where to ask and I don't even know if this is the right place to ask but i'm new to modding in skyrim and I have no clue where to start.

There is literally 1000 terms of words that i don't understand the meaning of, which i wish would be explained somewhere, and even a simple tutorial on how to start step by step guide.

So yes I have come so far that I have registered an account on nexusmods and I have downloaded a program called vortex, and ill stop here, cause even there was confusing cause there was multiple files and installations of that program, never have i seen that before in installing a program before either. (confusion start already here)

after that I have used the vortex button on the mod I want to download and it installed it but whenever I run skyrim its like vanilla still. I cannot find any LOAD ORDER anywhere even or see what mods are enabled or disabled.

I understand there are likely 3 million mods for skyrim out there that makes it already a jungle to guide through finding the mods for your game, but I dont even know where to start or get my first mod installed into the game.

Then there seems to be another quadruple programs you need to run in the background to have your mods working, is that correct?

And im used to perhaps 1, or 2, or even 3 terms in games and modding. But skyrim modding community have... thousands...

can somebody explain to me what NFSW, LE, SE, AE, NMM, MO2, SK, SKSE, FOMOD, INI, LOTD, SSE, TUDM, DSE, SOS, TRX, HDT, ENB, WIC, FNIS, HIMBO, SAM, UNP, UUNP, BHUNP, CBBE, 3BA, SMP, 3BBB, UNPB, TBBP, BBP, XP32, YY, VHR, TK, HP, Poly, SMIM, BSA, NOSM, ESP, ESL, ESM, RDO, CBPC, NAT.ENB, DAR, KS, FX, ELE, LOD, DOLOD, DX, CBP, SEVR, BHKOS, CTD, means..

I think that is all terms I have stumbled upon in the last day(s) I been here...

Terms I already know since before...

VR = Virtual Reality

UI = User interface

NPC = Non player character

4K = 4k resolution etc

ZIP = Compressed archive files

HD = High definition

EN/ENG = English

HUD = Headsup Display

AI = Artificial Intelligence

V = Version

FPS = Frames per second

3D = Three dimensional

DLC = Downloadable content

BSOD = Blue screen of death

MILF = **** censored but you know what it means

Thanks...

What I would like help with:

1. Install my first plugin to get it working a basic and needed one (important) have my game able to run it.

2. Install a mod that is required a 3rd party program to run it, guide instructions on install both and have my game be able to run it (can also be a important mod)

3. How to see/where my load order is, adjust it correctly thereafter as I install more mods, I figured if I learn step 1 and 2 I can begin build my mod list myself, with knowing where is my load order and adjusting it so the game works with it. 

X. The meaning of all the terms I mentioned above. 

Hi,

i'll try... Installing Vortex shouldn't be that hard. Get it from here and install. If you're unsure, click on "help and support". There's actually some good stuff there - including videos.

You don't need "another quadruple of programs" to mod Skyrim. The most important program is "Skyrim Script extender" (SKSE). It is needed for some of the more complex mods to function. For a little exercise, you can try to install "SkyUI" and SKSE. This way, you'll have probably the most importan mod of them all - a useable game interface.

Regarding abbreviations: Here's what I know. Some of the abbreviations you mentioned seem to be very specific. Don't worry too much about that stuff.

NFSW: not safe for work (usually refers to sexual or otherwise "explicit" content)

LE: Legendary Edition (the original 32bit version of Skyrim from 2011, bundled with all DLCs)

SE / SSE: Special Edition (64bit version of Skyrim, up to game version 1.5.97)

AE: "Anniversary Edition" (game version 1.6.353, i.e. the current version; some smaller technical changes compared to SE, also 4 free mods; sometimes "AE" also means the paid upgrade with around 70 or so mods - IMHO not necessary and not recommended for the beginning)

NMM: Nexus Mod Manager. Predecessor of Vortex. Outdated now.

MO2: Mod organizer 2. Another mod manager. Very powerful and still relevant, on par with Vortex. Use this or Vortex. IMHO, Vortex is a bit more "beginner friendly".

SKSE: Skyrim Script Extender (see above)

FOMOD: Originally "Fallout mod manager mod", nowadays it means a special way of packaging mods, so that users can make choices during installation with a mod manager.

INI: "initialization"? General term for files containing settings for specific programs. Skyrim also has two .ini files. And so do some mods. For the game's ini files, I'd recommend "BethINI".

SOS: Depends on the context. Usually "Sounds of Skyrim" (a sound mod) or "Shlongs of Skyrim" (a nude body mod for males).

HDT: Advanced physics system, used mainly for bodies, clothes, hair. In Skyrim SE/AE, HDT-SMP (where SMP stands for "skin meshed physics) is the base for a lot of contemporary physics mods.

ENB: "Enhanced natural beauty" Additional program that can enhance visuals in a lot of games, including Skyrim. Available here: http://enbdev.com/

FNIS: Fore's New Idles in Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3038 Needed, if you want to add custom animations to your game. Still works, but development has stopped. Alternative is Nemesis.

HIMBO: Male body mod (here on the Nexus)

SAM: Another male body mod, not on the Nexus

UNP, UUNP, BHUNP, CBBE, 3BA, SMP, 3BBB, UNPB: Different female body replacers. Only choose one. Most common are 3BA and BHUNP. Careful: Physics bodies depend on other mods. Carefully read and follow the installation instructions.

XP32: XP32 Maximum Skeleton. Think of it as virtual "bones" for characters in game. Necessary for most advanced animation mods (and also physics bodies).

HP, Poly: Polygons are the basic units of meshes ("forms" of things in video games). "High Poly" (HP) means lots of Polygons, i.e. higher detail, but also more demanding for the computer.

SMIM: Static Mesh Improvement Mod: Improves a lot of ugly Vanilla meshes.

NOSM: "No survival mode"? "Survival mode" is one of the free mods you get with AE. My recommendation: DON'T use it.

BSA, , ESP, ESL, ESM: Different file formats used by Skyrim.

RDO, CBPC, NAT.ENB, DAR, KS, CBP: Mods you can download here from the Nexus. Use Nexus search for details.

FX: effects (nothig Skyrim specific)

ELE: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1377 Lighting mod, meanwhile slightly outdated. "State of the art" are ELFX Shadows and Lux (both on the Nexus).

LOD, DOLOD: Level of Detail, Distant object level of detail: Technique used in a lot of video games: Basically it's about using low detail textures and meshes for far away objects to improve performance. DYNDOLOD is a program used to improve LOD in SKyrim. Rather complex stuff - lots of "RTFM" ("Read the f....antastic manual!"), not recommended for the beginning.

CTD: Crash to Desktop (not Skyrim specific)

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I already downloaded and installed vortex and tried installing mod on it but when I run skyrim it's just the basic game, so I don't even understand how to load a mod or see the load order from it. (seems hard to use) apart from the download and being visible in the vortex part.

I saw a YT beginner guide but it was based on Mod organizer 2, and it seems easier to use. Is it okay to use MO2 instead?

if I use MO2 since I found a good guide to use that, how would that be working with nexus next (collections)? is it still possible to load "profiles" on the collections page to MO2?

or can it be technically able to replicate them as exact the mods in the collection?

is the "mod load order" listed in the collection mod list the right mod load order to put them in?

and when I download specific mods on vortex I notice a pop up window will pop up in vortex with settings for that mod, commonly for enhance graphics mods, is there also a window like that on MO2? Or how do i setup and customize mods if I use that program?

I wanted to download mods of my own choosing first, but if that dont work i want to be able to just install a collection.

what is Wrye bash?

Apart from SKSE that seems 3rd party program download, I also mean vortex, Mod organizer 2, wrae bash, enb you also linked to off party site, Bethini also says its standalone, then there's LOOT, I dont know about SSEEdit and TUDM but those are also mods I ended up download on my pc.

1. You don't need to see your load order in game. For modding purposes, it's enough to see it in your mod manager (Vortex or MO2).

2. Vortex vs. MO 2: Up to you. Pick the one you feel more comfortable with. There's definitely nothing wrong with using MO 2.

Some things to consider though:

- When using Vortex, you don't need LOOT. Vortex already has a built in sorting algorithm, which is based on the current LOOT set of rules. This rule set ("masterlist") gets updated on a regular basis. So, Vortex sorting basically IS LOOT. One external program less for you to take care of.

- Since you mentioned collections: These are a rather new feature, which is currently Vortex exclusive. Well, in fact there IS a second system called "Wabbajack", but it's not as easy to use as Vortex collections. In general, collections would be a good and somewhat safe start for a beginner. You'll get an impression of what is possible - and often also a reasonable selection of current "premium" mods. Personally, I don't use collections (I built the Skyrim I like over teh years and feel no need to fundamentally change it...). So, I don't have first hand knowledge about collections. AFAIK, it's really easy: You click on the "download" button and Vortex should do all the rest for you - including establishing a working load order. From what I've heard, there are still some bugs though - it's still a new feature...

3. Regarding "pop up windows" in Vortex: Not exactly sure, what you mean. Probably you're talking about notifications about mod conflicts (one or more mods, that want to change the same assets, e.g. snow or grass textures). AFAIK, MO 2 doesn't have these popups, but it will also indicate conflicts and let you choose how you want to handle them.

4. Wrye Bash was originally designed as a standalone mod manager. Although it works well, it never really made the breakthrough. Nowadays, most people (indlucing me) use Wrye Bash for another reason: It can automatically create a so-called "bashed patch". This is some kind of automated "conflict resolution patch": Its respects the load order (meaning mods loaded AFTER other mods will "win" over mods loaded before), but at the same time tries to preserve as much data from "overwritten" mods as possible. Bashed patches are also great to integrate items added by mods into leveled lists for loot or vendors. If you use larger load orders, creating a "bashed patch" is highly recommended. Don't worry - basically it's just pressing one button and waiting some minutes.

5. Regarding SSEEdit: I'd say that's rather advanced stuff. I'd definitely recommend getting familiar with it, but that's not something you need at the beginning.

TUDM is something I don't use. TBH, it looks quite complicated. Maybe also something to wrap your head around later, if you feel like it. IMHO, Skyrim combat isn't that bad. I'd start with the Vanilla combat system, test a bit and see, what you like about it - and what not. This way, you can make more informed decisions, which combat overhauls you want or need.

On a side note: You're right. The deeper you get into modding Skyrim, the more tools you want to use. I've been modding Bethesda games (not only Skyrim) for years. I don't really create mods, but I like to adapt things and make them work the way I want. So, over the years, I learned how to use SSEEdit, DYNDOLOD, the Creation Kit, Texture editing, mesh editing and a lot more. But as I said: That was a process over years. Don't worry, you don't need to learn (or even download) everything at once. I'd rather take it slow: First try the basics. Then maybe learn how to set up physics bodies. Or how to install ENB. Choose a limited subject you're interested in and learn more about it. That way modding stays fun - and not work.

But how do I launch skyrim with the mods on Vortex? That's where I have problem with. There is no "Start skyrim" button on vortex or "Run skyrim" and when I run skyrim on steam it gives me the vanilla game.

Even if I download a collection on vortex next I dont know how to run the game with the collection.

And I mean when you download a mod on nexus to vortex a vortex window pop up for the mod letting you setup the mod choosing for example if to use 2k textures or 4k textures, or click if patch for any other mod, or what color you want on the flora (mara's flora), does MO2 have that feature also or how do I pick the color for example on the flora if I download maras flora to MO2?

And I mean when you download a mod on nexus to vortex a vortex window pop up for the mod letting you setup the mod choosing for example if to use 2k textures or 4k textures, or click if patch for any other mod, or what color you want on the flora (mara's flora), does MO2 have that feature also or how do I pick the color for example on the flora if I download maras flora to MO2?

Ah, what you're describing is a "fomod" (as mentioned in my first post). AFAIK, MO 2 handles fomods in a very similar way as Vortex.

If your collection includes SKSE, you must use SKSE64_loader.exe. You can add a link to that to Vortex. Many of us simply use a shortcut from the desktop.

In fact, that's what I'd recommend. There is no benefit in launching the game from Vortex. In fact, Vortex in this case is just another program running in the background, eating up system resources, that might be needed for Skyrim.... Set up your mods in Vortex, then close it and start the game with "SKSE64_loader.exe".

BTW, Steam should already be running, before you use the SKSE .exe file. Otherwise the game will start without SKSE. In this case, close the game and restart with "SKSE64_loader.exe".

Alright as I mentioned before on the video guide I found im using Mod Organizer 2 and I find it much easier then Vortex to use. I have managed to start skyrim with mods and know how to install mods using it.

But ive come to the tricky part now... I followed the video guide on how to use it and did it exactly as step by step mentioned, but when I install mods and certain mods that have a executable file like Nemesis and/or CBBE/Bodyslide outfit studio the mod software install it in its mod directory where i installed the program (even if its on same drive as skyrim) but the skyrim folder is not being touched or installed any into.

how do i fix this and what do i do now? i cant use most of the mods that i started and wanted mod skyrim in the first place in with, and every google search i try find a solution doesnt work for me, cause it seems nobody else have this problem. when they download a mod it installs in the skyrim directory but not for me.

First i tried vortex and it didnt find a single mod and couldnt even run skyrim non-vanilla mode and now i can run skyrim modded with mo2 but as i said executable files like cbbe, nemesis, many others, studio, doesnt work cause it say cant find data folder or skyrim folder. what am i doing wrong?! Im following every step by step tutorial by steps and im even following exact guide on youtube tutorial aswell and mine doesnt end up in same result.

I cant even find body presets in the racemenu when i install them. because there is no file.

ill even go straight detail where i install mo2

i install mo2 in E:\mod organizer 2\

and all mods i download or install either end u in e:\mod organizer 2\downloads\ or e:\mod organizer 2\mods\

and my skyrim is installed in e:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim special edition

and as i said when i open that location every file and folder there is and looks the same as if it was a steam vanilla install of the game.

there is no nemesis in the data folder like it says in tutorials and guide, mo2 cant find any data folder, so what is going on????

even the guide i followed installed mo2 in c:\ and he had the skyrim game on d:\ and he didnt even have this problem.

im so frustrated i dont know what to do im been at this for DAYS now and i still dont have the mods installed i want. this is the hardest mod experience ive ever had encounter in my life.

any one else had this issue?

i even saw before that it was not allowed to delete, remove, or change files in vortex/mods, so how do i delete it or remove it if its not allowed? its currently taking up 500 GB space already, that i really dont want....

Edited by Akymo

AFAIK (as far as I know), both Vortex and MO2 install mods in a system that uses virtual links, where the files are actually held in the mod manager, and the links tell Skyrim what to load. If you are using the 'Mods' feature on the Skyrim menu, you are defeating yourself. It won't show anything you installed through a mod manager, because the manager is bypassing it...

I think that you should go to the Vortex discussion and help (found in the parent Nexus Mods site and forums), look through the stuff there. You might not be 'deploying' the mods after you install them. You remove mods from the 'Mods' interface found on the left side of the Vortex display. Right-click on the file name of the mod, and you will get several options, one of which is remove. You can also find remove under the 'Actions' column, which is on the far right of the 'Mods' interface.