Discrimination Mod

Mattian

Had an idea for a mod today, and I don't think I've seen anything like it yet. I'd make it myself, but I have no experience, so I'm hoping someone else will try to do it.

We hear a lot about racism in Skyrim, but we don't actually see it all that often. In Bethesda's defense, it's to make it easier to play as any race, but wouldn't it be more interesting to actually include the much-discussed discrimination?

From what I understand (and I may be off a bit) the most hated races, from least to most, are:

(Little-no discrimination)

10: Nords

9: Bretons

8: Redguards

7: Imperials

(Some discrimination)

6: Bosmer

5: Orsimer

(Heavy discrimination)

4: Altmer

3: Dunmer

2: Argonian

1: Khajiit

We can't do all that much without adding lots of voice acting and new lines, so what I'm proposing is:

1) Price differences. Most shopkeepers are Nords, so their views are based on the list above, and they'll raise the prices for non-Nords (especially those in the top 4). This doesn't always have to be the case, for there could be some non-racist merchants. Also, non-Nord shopkeepers of the Dragonborn's race will give them fair or even discounted prices.

2) Entrance requirements. Any non-Nord that tries to enter Windhelm for the first time will be stopped by a guard (the only new character/voice actor needed) who refuses to let them in unless they complete a "kill the bandit leader" type Radiant quest. Argonians, Khajiit, and maybe Dunmer will have to do this for all cities. (Except maybe Whiteun, because it's in the storyline. Also, Whiterun is awesome and there's a Dunmer housecarl).

3) Racial privileges. The same way that orsimer can enter orc strongholds and argonians can stay in the argonian assemblage, khajiit should be able to sleep or even travel in (at least to the next city) Khajiit caravans, and bretons wearing full forsworn clothing can walk through forsworn camps unmolested, so long as they don't blow their cover.

These are just a few suggestions, but I think they could work really well in improving the realism without too much effort or drastically changing the game. Let me know what you think, and tell me if someone actually does any of these!

(Also, I apologize if I offend someone by saying adding racism makes things "more interesting". I understand, but I only do it in the interest of a game set in a fantasy world.)

Edited by Mattian

• 3 months later...

My mod itself can be considered a discrimination mod against Argonians as it forces 70+ Argonians to live in the Assemblage together in extreme poverty. The sleep on the ground, eat standing up, all work the docks during the day, no one is buried inside the city, no one is allowed to work the nearby farms which are a small upgrade to working the docks, all of them have poor citizen inventories along with poor citizen clothing, their only possessions are lockpicks, skooma, bread, fish, and potatoes, etc.

• 1 year later...