I installed 4 retexture packs ... And got no conflicts?!

Savela

So, I download four big retexture mods with the idea that I will have the most coverage of good textures. They would conflict, but that's not a real problem, since it's just texture.

But they didn't conflict and that got me really surprised and a bit concerned.

The mods are Vivid Fallout - All in One; High Resolution Texture Pack; FlaconOil's Complete Retexture Project; and the Fallout 4 HD Overhaul.

I also have Gravel Redone 4K; Visible Galaxy 4k and Framework; True Grass and a bunch of other mods (that are not relevant here) installed.

Even more confusing is, that they seem to work. When i go ingame i can see that textures are changed. couldn't tell if it's all of them but still...

I can just not imagine that all these mods don't overlap somewhere. Did i do something wrong? Or did they just carved terretories out for themselves to not conflict?

Most of those mods have their files stored in archives. Vortex can't detect conflicting files in archives and MO2 needs to have that function enabled (it's "experimental").

You could have hundreds of conflicts and not be warned about it. Last archive to load will win.

Most of those mods have their files stored in archives. Vortex can't detect conflicting files in archives and MO2 needs to have that function enabled (it's "experimental").

You could have hundreds of conflicts and not be warned about it. Last archive to load will win.

That must be it. The mods offered "ba2" versions and "loose file" versions, for no real reason. So with the loose file version i would get conflicts.

Thanks a lot :D

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2022 at 10:50 PM, Savela said:

That must be it. The mods offered "ba2" versions and "loose file" versions, for no real reason. So with the loose file version i would get conflicts.

Thanks a lot 😄

Both methods have their own up and down sides.

Texture replacements do not require an .esp . As "Loose files" they will overrule anything else & don't eat up a mod slot. But require a few settings inside your .ini file. This method typically works fine on a PC. Their can be only 1 "version" for each texture file.

However, for those wanting an .esp file to manage their "load order", or those who can't enable "Loose files" texture mods sometimes come with a "Dummy .esp" (as it contains ... nothing) just so they can add (& load) the * - textures.ba2 archive.

.esp files and their archives can have 'conflicts'. Loose files can not. (as you need to choose your texture files to be used, one by one. There can be only one file with the same name inside the same path(!) on your harddrive/ssd) where the archives can contain the same file each and every time. (the last one loaded wins. "Loose files" are always last!)

So, there you have your reason for being able to choose.