Populating the Hintelands

anjenthedog

I've pretty well played and replayed the storyline several times now, or at least all the parts I intend to - not interested in the civil war for instance, it's stupid imo, we should be allying with the imperials and ridding the world of the high elves, not bickering among ourselves - for two of my player vectors, so when using them, I tend to wander, and often, due to the surprisingly huge region outside normal bounds, some of which is seriously cool topographically and in terms of the design of the "window dressings" its authors created/placed, I wander there far more than in the "normal Skyrim world". I just use my player homes from time to time, and I do the odd bulletin board sidequest in the "real world". Otherwise I enjoy the less jumbled, graveyard-like appearance of the "gameline" skyrim landscape, by escaping over the invisible wall.

- tbh, the more I examine the layout of the "main" dungeon in which Skyrim is played, the more it reminds me of a massively upscaled version of the late 19th, early 20th century, mausoleum-strewn, robber-baron era (and presidential) cemetery located just a mile or so away from my real life home

However, it is very quiet (no game music, no environmental sounds), and more importantly, there is absolutely no wild life of any kind, be it creatures or humans. (here, humans not so important I suppose, just being thorough identifying what is missing)

The lack of music and sound isn't all that much a problem (although it'd be nice but whatever, I'm aware of the limits there), but it does feel a bit more desolate than I'd like, in terms of animal life. What prevents adding respawning wild life to those areas? Is it because they're not "navmeshed"? Some of the "off limits" areas are well-appointed, ie plenty of flora, and more than suitable for housing deer or other creatures.

"Academic" query... this isn't "a problem", I'm just curious, both in terms of the functional question and perhaps to probe for others who enjoy the wanderlust aspect of "play" for random discussion's purposes (sharing cool locations or accidental discoveries, etc).

We like this thread. Historically, we've enjoyed finding or seeking for ways of getting "out of bounds" in all our fave games. (BOTW, for example.)

We are not enough game-designers to inform an answer here, but we might speculate, "What would happen if you could make NPC's and Animals with 'no collision.'"? If done in the CK, it would probably crash, when you tried to place them in a "cell"?

Could you place a "blimp" or flying ship into the game as a cell that next spawned or generated "no-collision" life, and rained these down onto Tamriel, and then they'd fall through?

Would any fall through and end up wandering in limbo?

I've used ATF to summon followers in the past, and they're translocated to me as expected, but although they don't fall through the floor , they also refuse to move from where I call them (no normal "follow" behavior when I walk away from them , maybe a step or two, but then nothing).

I guess I'm ignorant enough about "navmesh" in terms of its use in topography (beyond the physical form) that I'm probably not describing the proper term to name it. whatever the stuff is that allows NPCs to move around.

Anyway, afaik you can spawn something in, but I'm not sure it'll be able to move around freely. I know that my followers never have (which is the main reason why I started 'roaming' solo)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a several (4 or 5) installed, and they do provide some additional design, usually to support a few representative quests or even a full story line like Beyond Skyrim Reach. PS> you can't edit subject titles, but fwiw the word should have been "hinterlands", not "hintelands" ie, outlying areas outside the normal borders in the game. And of those, Bruma and Reach are supported by entirely new maps and are not extensions of the original world space... And... they contain their own out-of-border areas.

it's these out-of-border areas I'm talking about. Some areas are breathtaking, (just had a really good ~2 hour walk last weekend well to the east of Bruma, but once you cross some boundary about 1/5 of the way into the journey, the music fades, then the environmental shortly after, and the only thing you hear is the crunch of your boots, if that.