Trouble with .egm files

AxlDave

So, I made myself a cowboy hat based on the sheriff's hat, went to test it in game and my character wore it on the side of his face. What's more, the texture for the original sheriff's hat turned solid black.

To make the hat, I basically just copied everything I needed (textures and armour data) by creating a new Editor ID for each to make unique entries. I then edited these new entries to my liking.

When I encountered this oddity, I googled it (of course) and read that hats become misaligned without a proper .egm file to keep them in place. So I tried copying the model and .egm files and renaming them, then associating my textures with the "new" models (Biped and Go). Needless to say this had no effect.

Where do I go from here? Does this have a relatively simple solution? Creating an .egm does not seem simple, but I fear that is the only solution. Plus I don't know how.

And what about the original sheriff's hat retexture, what's going on there? I assume it's related as it only started happening when I did the textures for my hat, but did not overwrite anything.

Any advice would be appreciated, my guy looks just plain silly right now.

AxlDave - Hello!

"Creating an .egm does not seem simple"

Creating a custom .egm is actually pretty easy, there's a special tool needed called The Conformulator:

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/9360//?

With a guide to using it in this general headgear tutorial:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Headgear_tutorial

However if you've used a vanilla hat & made no changes to the mesh then you can use the vanilla .egm that was intended for the original hat.

You need to copy the original .egm & name it exactly the same as your new hat model like:

MyNewHat.nif Your Hat Mesh
MyNewHat.egm Your Hat .egm

The .egm goes in the same location as the new hat model.

"So, I made myself a cowboy hat based on the sheriff's hat, went to test it in game and my character wore it on the side of his face."

Don't forget, in GECK, to go to Character at the top & select "Update facegen model availability" then save your mod.

The hat should sit properly in game after that.

You may end up with other hats info being saved to your game, you can use FO3Edit to remove all but your new hat as part of the normal cleaning of your mod.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

However if you've used a vanilla hat & made no changes to the mesh then you can use the vanilla .egm that was intended for the original hat.

You need to copy the original .egm & name it exactly the same as your new hat model like:

MyNewHat.nif Your Hat Mesh

MyNewHat.egm Your Hat .egm

The .egm goes in the same location as the new hat model.

This I had already done...

Don't forget, in GECK, to go to Character at the top & select "Update facegen model availability" then save your mod.

...however I was not aware of this function until now.

The hat should sit properly in game after that.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

It does and it did, thanks for once again saving my mods :)