Having trouble with updating a string element in an array.

Gotcha. For me personally, if the mod already requires skse I don't see a reason not to use papyrus extender or papyrusUtil as requirements, as they are only scripts (no esp), but to each their own. Another way I can think of to cut down on time, is have your initial list not display weights, then when you click on a type, it displays weight for that type. I think Sphered's idea of using the array will help on time too. So for example:

Float ArmorWeight = GetTotalWeightOfTypeInContainer(26, PlayerRef)

Float Function GetTotalWeightOfTypeInContainer(Int Type, ObjectReference ref) 
    Float Weight
    Form[] Forms = ref.GetContainerForms() 
    Int L = Forms.Length 
    Int i = 0 
    While i < L 
        If Forms[i].GetType() == Type 
            Weight += ( Forms[i].GetWeight() * (ref.GetItemCount(Forms[i]) as float) )
        Endif 
        i += 1 
    EndWhile

return Weight
EndFunction 

You could also use threading as well to cut down on time.

I appreciate the help, I learned some new concepts from you. While I did manage to implement everything, I ultimately gave it up because there was better and simpler mods out there already. It was going to be that you can dump your inventory in a chest and it reports how much weight a particular category is in total so you can know which to dump. A counter to dungeon delving where you find yourself suddenly overencumbered and cannot run and cannot fast travel and dumping stuff probably means dumping high value items if you have more of those than low value ones that contribute to the overencumberance. A person though could just download a portable storage mod instead.