Heavy Traffic ×

blackface on unmodded npcs

Galw1n

Hello everyone. I tried my best to avoid the black face issue on replaced npcs, limiting the replacers, making sure any of them not overlap another. And it looks like it works, all my replaced npc works fine. And i realized only unreplaced npc shows with blackface. Even after i removed the replacers, even after i started a fresh save.

Any idea on what's going on & how i can fix it?

Hard to tell without further information.

Maybe some leftover files from previously installed NPC replacers?

Another very common reason for brown faces are mod conflicts. This doesn't necessarily mean conflicts with NPC replacers only. Could be anything, that for whatever reason makes changes to NPCs.

The first thing you should do is load your entire loadorder in XEdit.

Now go to Skyrim.esm. This is your best starting point, since we're talking about Vanilla NPCs. Go to the "actors / NPCs" category (or whatever it is called exactly), expand it. Find the records of those NPCs, that have a black face, and look at them. They should be green (meaning nothing overwrites this record) or brown/orange (meaning there are conflicts, but the original record wins). If an NPC is marked in red, its data is overwritten. Look at the conflict, change your load order accordingly or patch it.

If necessary, do the same for Dawnguard.esm and Dragonborne.esm. I'm not sure, if Hearthfires adds NPCs. If it does, it should also be checked.

If an NPC is marked in green or orange/brown and still has a black face, the problem is not with plugin files, but with other added files (facetint textures or facegeom meshes). That probably means remnants from previously installed mods.