Photo

[Help Wanted] Anyone down to help me understand mod creating?

help mod creation guiding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ozzymand

Ozzymand

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Basically title. Is there anyone here who has some spare time (even 5 minutes a day is fine) that could help me understand how making mods for this game works? Like the whole flow, what software to use, point me towards guides and stuff... I know how programming works in general I've used python and c++ for the past few years and I'd like to try making mods for this game but I can't really understand HOW to start doing it.

If anyone's down either leave a reply here with links to guides or DM me and we can add each other on discord

Edited by Ozzymand, 03 July 2022 - 06:49 PM.

dylbill

dylbill

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,917 posts

It depends on what you want to make. For scripting you'll need the creation kit and a way to compile scripts. I personally use SSE Script: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/43691/  

There's a lot of scripting tutorials out there. Here's a good beginner one:  

For Modeling you might want to use Outfit Studio or Blender. https://www.nexusmod...dition/mods/201

For textures Gimp has a .dds plugin built in, or there are other programs that can convert to and from .dds as well.

Ozzymand

Ozzymand

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Thank you very much for your response dylbill! You're the first person to point me towards some really good resources and kept everything short and to the point.

Algabar

Algabar

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,456 posts

IMHO, you question is a bit too "general". Depending on what you want to do, very different skills and tools are required. Creating a custom weapon for example is quite different from making a custom follower or a player home. Changing combat or animations again requires a different approach than a quest mod.

My advice is to first decide on what you want to do. If you have a defined goal, you can search the internet for specific tutorials (in fact, there are a lot) or ask more specific questions here. Also, it's always a good idea to download a mod, that does soemthing similar as you want, and look at it: Try to understand the file structure, open the plugin in the Creation Kit, look at scripts and so on. See, "how it's done". This really helps a lot.

Sphered

Sphered

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 442 posts

Agreed way too broad. Renaming Nazeem to Nazoom and releasing it as a mod, technically would also count as a creation

I know my way around code and 3D (mesh) modeling and animations pretty dang well. But you ask me to make a texture or explain what alpha blending is, shyeah right

For most people I imagine it begins as just tweaking something you didnt like in a mod, say oh that as ez. Then delve further. Important thing is you enjoy it

greyday01

greyday01

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 570 posts

Creationkit.com in tutorials then visual learners then clicking on video tutorials (not highlighted) will link you to a series of you tubes that take you through creating a dungeon from start to finish. Very helpful for getting the basics.

Category:Tutorials - Creation Kit

Googling Darkfox127 you will find a great number of videos about how to do many things like custom containers, mannequins, bookshelves and many other topics. Very clear and easy to follow.

maxarturo

maxarturo

What does this even mean?

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts
FIrst develop an idea, then ask how this could be accomplished.
Modding is not a one dimensional process, so that someone could just pinpoint you to a tutorial and be done with it, it has a vast variety of different aspects that requires a vast variety of different skills and knowhow.

1Hat

1Hat

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I've found this YouTuber to be pretty good for a general overview of Creation Kit.

https://www.youtube....0KW41y6gdrlANE7

I echo the suggestions of others in this topic to have a goal in mind before you explore how to do it.

If you were making a story quest, other resources like story theory might become relevant. Or a player home: pictures of architecture.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, mod creation, guiding

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.204 seconds