Opinions wanted!

StealthDick

Hey all,

Have you ever played a Fable game before? And if so, do you remember how death worked? The game would slow down and you'd lose your XP orbs. It sucked, but that was the game - it wasn't possible to save scum.

I've gone and replicated this in Fallout: New Vegas. Now, instead of perishing in combat, you topple over (in slow-motion) from whatever direction you were struck from, you lose 10% of your XP, and when you come to it - you have a few seconds of invulnerability (for you to retaliate or flee).

All of these variables are customizable by YOU in MCM.

• The duration of how long you're KO'd.
  • The duration of invulnerability.
  • The XP (loss) multiplier. (from 0% - 100%)
  • Whether your foes heal to full once they take you down.
  • Whether your foes run away from your unconscious body (so they don't camp your body).
  • You can even make them forgive you after they kick your ass (If they weren't aggressive towards your from the get-go).

I've very proud of it. I've been refining it for the last few days and it's ready to be published. But... I've ran into a dilemma...

The XP loss. Yes, you can turn it off entirely if you wanted to. And yes, with all the quest mods on the Nexus you needn't worry about a shortage of XP...

I digress, at level 1-5 it doesn't really matter if you lose 10% of your XP if you die. Sure, it sucks, but 10% at the lower levels can easily be replaced by killing 1-4 people/creatures/etc. Once you get to the higher levels, however, you're losing 1000+ with each death. My level 35 character loses almost 10k per death.

So here's where I am now...

1. Instead of XP loss - Skills are temporarily reduced by 5-10 perk KO.
  2. Max health is temporarily decreased - this debuff would stack.
  3. Non-Hardcore: KOs don't matter. Hardcore: They reduce your Sleep/Hunger/Dehydration.
  4. Rather than lose the XP - The XP would be taken from you, but after sleeping it could be recouperated.
  5. Or lastly... I keep it. Loss sucks, but it makes you play slower.

Let me know what you gamers (that's gender neutral right?) think. I'm open to suggestion, but I'm only implementing 1 debuff system (no more, no less).

TL:DR - In this mod, you don't die - you're simply KO'd. As a repercussion for being KO'd, which of the yellow choices should I go with?

A big XP loss is fine. When you're high level you have more options and resources that make not-dying easier. Plus you still have access to high xp activities that low level characters don't.

If anything, maybe a cap on the max xp you can lose? ( If LostXP > 1000, make LostXP = 1000. )

I'm with Radioactivelad. A bigger chunk would be a big bummer, but that's kind of the point, right? Dying sucks. If you do cap it, I'd still make it a pretty damaging max. I like the xp loss much more than the other options listed.

Then it's settled: XP loss (with the option to cap it).

Now one other thing, since save-scumming exists (and we are all guilty of it) should I integrate anti-quicksave/anti-autosave measures into the mod? Or should I just recommend a mod that does it?

What do you mean by anti quicksave? Like stopping you from using them? Personally I think that'd be annoying since there are legitimate reasons (and concerns) for using them, like if your game is a bit unstable or something.

Maybe the mod could remove xp if you quickload while knocked out or in combat? (I don't know a lot about nvse scripting, but I think that would be possible?)

Either way, conceptually, I like the idea of making additional handcaps like that a Hardcore Mode feature.

Edited by Radioactivelad

You mention save scumming, are suggesting disabling saves in some way? I don't think the game is stable enough for that.

I meant disabling saves almost the way that THIS MOD does it.

"This module restricts a player (that is you), from saving game anywhere you want to. Instead it lets you to choose one of the following save modes:

HOLY SMOKE - this mode is the easiest one. Your progress will be saved each time you smoke a day-saving cigarette, taking a drink in Prospector saloon, or taking a nap in owned or rented bed. This mode is recommended for most players.

NO PLACE LIKE HOME - in this mode you cannot smoke (alright, actually you can, but it has no effect), but taking a nap in owned or rented bed and drinking in Prospector saloon will still save your day..."

- Darhark, No Second Chances

Ya just XP loss capped . But make it a sliding scale to the mob .

So you still have the risk ... and not a way to get by bosses .

Honestly I prefer the shard loss concept ... where you died ... you left a piece of yourself to get back .

And I guess that way ... the mob protecting your shard , would come into play instead of having to use code to get their level to adjust xp loss.

Just a thought .

OH wait ya ... sorry I forgot the obvious with needing a spawn point .