Placeable sound effects for settlements and workshops

Danstronghammer

I've had an idea to bring more life and immersion to your settlements.

Placeable sound effects. For example, have a sound effect attached to an item, in a similar way to a mod called lights with shadows. This mod has placeable invisible light bulbs, which emmit shadow casting light. But instead of emitting light, the item produces a sound effect that when placed plays on a continuous loop.

The sound effect could be anything, the sound of people chatting, dishes clinking, people using hand saws, hammering, sewing machines, electric drills, water dripping, farmyard animals, wild animals, creepy sound effects, like monsters, ghosts, ghouls etc. The possibilities are endless.

Having placeable sound effects which you can put where you choose, would add a whole new layer of immersion to settlements

Wasteland Reconstruction Kit (WRK) has this. You'll need to have Sim Settlements 2 installed though.

I appreciate your input, but don't use sim settlements, I'm not a big fan of huge game changing mods. Although the sound emitters sound like just what I'm after, but I'd just like them to be standalone.

Edited by Danstronghammer

It's simple. An invisible mesh with a collision and a havok material assigned (eg actor skeleton) and a simple animation sequence (SpecialIdle is the most convenient because the object with this sequence can be any static object), number of frames = soundNode descriptor sound duration. You can add a bs connect point for quick attachment.

It's simple. An invisible mesh with a collision and a havok material assigned (eg actor skeleton) and a simple animation sequence (SpecialIdle is the most convenient because the object with this sequence can be any static object), number of frames = soundNode descriptor sound duration. You can add a bs connect point for quick attachment.

Thanks for your input, and i appreciate that its simple, but I'm not a modder, I play exclusively on xbox, I don't even own a PC, so I'm reliant on others creating mods. But thanks anyway.

Thanks for your input, and i appreciate that its simple, but I'm not a modder, I play exclusively on xbox, I don't even own a PC, so I'm reliant on others creating mods. But thanks anyway.
I can make such a nif in five minutes, but you still have to change the names of the descriptors for your own sounds in the nifscope yourself, and add wav to the descriptors in the creation kit. Obviously this is not possible without a pc. I don't know what is required for xbox.

Using an invisible box with is possible. I did it for my Placeable FX Effects.

But a more elegegant solution would be for a marker to appear whilst being in workshop mode and I still haven't found out how to do this.

Otherwise I'd done it already, sry

But a more elegegant solution would be for a marker to appear whilst being in workshop mode and I still haven't found out how to do this.

Step 1. Get linked workshop

Step 2. Put an OnWorkshopMode tracker in the script (the event is sent to the workshop, hence step 1).

Step 3. When exiting workshop mode, Self.SetScale(0).

Step 4. When entering workshop mode, Self.SetScale(1)

That's how I'd do it.

Using an invisible box with is possible. I did it for my Placeable FX Effects.

Otherwise I'd done it already, sry

Regarding the OnWorkshopMode method, be aware that if the object is scaled to 0 by the time the settlement gets loaded, selecting that object in the workshop menu (the "build mode") may not work properly. Sometimes, the interface "sees" the object as if it was still scaled to 0 instead of 1, preventing the Player to be able to highlight and select it.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/zh9U0jXnHTS9Vg

If anyone wants to make a mod... There are several nif's in the archive with sound loops from 1 to 32 seconds. Screenshots with instructions for adding sound are also in the archive. All you need to do: 1.Record your wav with a duration of 1,2,8,16,32 seconds. 2. Add the names of your sound soundNode to nifscope. 3. Add nif and descriptor with the same name as you specified in nifscope in creation kit to your future esp (esl). Based on these nifs, you can make as many sounds for the workshop as you like. If you need, I can make meshes visible in workshop mode and invisible in game mode. But I do not recommend it, because the engine is often buggy and with a large number of such objects it stops switching them to invisibility.