An ambitions idea for settler useable basements in external workshops

Danstronghammer

So, I've always wanted to he able to build basements in my workshops, that are navemeshed and useable by settlers

The reason being, having an underground storeroom seems like a much more secure way of sorting valuable crops and resources, ammo etc. But I also want to assign a settler to a act as an inventory manager or something.

They are also useful for settlers to flee to in case of an attack, or somewhere to duck into during a Radstorm.

However, all the mods i've found, that add basements, add them as seperate interior cells, that settlers cannot enter, and you cannot assign them workstations inside, because they are not park of the actual workshop, they are more like Home Plate,

So, my idea, which came from Fallout 76, where players used a glitch to be able build vast camps underground: would be to create a foundation block with stairs attached going down inside of the block, a bit like the shack staircase, but as a foundation.

Once placed, it makes the ground only inside of the block invisible, and removes the collision, so although it doesn't delete the ground, it makes it passable for settlers using the navmeshed foundation block, from there using snap points attached to the foundation, you can add normal floor wall and ceiling pieces, in effect creating a building under the ground thats part of the normal workshop and fully useable by settlers.

Or will this cause my xbox to explode?

Thanks for reading

Once placed, it makes the ground only inside of the block invisible, and removes the collision, so although it doesn't delete the ground, it makes it passable for settlers using the navmeshed foundation block, from there using snap points attached to the foundation, you can add normal floor wall and ceiling pieces, in effect creating a building under the ground thats part of the normal workshop and fully useable by settlers.

This part is where the idea runs aground, I'm afraid. You can't disable the terrain in a specific spot, the engine just isn't set up to do it. If you did manage to disable the collision, which I also think is not possible, you would find yourself under the world, looking at all the gross background stuff the ground hides:

F1EgHfW.jpg

I'm not trying to dump on your idea, I wish it were possible. :confused:

Leah

This part is where the idea runs aground, I'm afraid. You can't disable the terrain in a specific spot, the engine just isn't set up to do it. If you did manage to disable the collision, which I also think is not possible, you would find yourself under the world, looking at all the gross background stuff the ground hides:

F1EgHfW.jpg

Leah

Thanks for getting back to me, I understand you'd be able to see all the ugly stuff underground, but the idea was that when you attach the walls, floors and ceilings to the foundation piece, it would hide all the stuff outside, giving the illusion of being underground.

If it's not possible, then that's fine, it was just an idea, but you know what they say, if you don't try, you don't get

F1EgHfW.jpg

Leah

Thanks for getting back to me, I understand you'd be able to see all the ugly stuff underground, but the idea was that when you attach the walls, floors and ceilings to the foundation piece, it would hide all the stuff outside, giving the illusion of being underground.

If it's not possible, then that's fine, it was just an idea, but you know what they say, if you don't try, you don't get

OK, how about a patch for the not just basements mod:

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/4269729

A patch that will allow you to assign settlers to workstations etc, if you use a mod such as Amazing Follower Tweaks, or USO, to place your iwn settlers there? Could that work? Once placed, the basements are already linked to the parent workshop

If possible, there would have been such a mod for a long time. Even the vanilla game hardly uses directly accessible cellars. Even the tiny one at sanctuary is a separate cell with a load-door.

Manipulating the landscape from within the game is near impossible. (A navmesh-cut object might work (not sure for ground), but you can't hide the ground/textures, afaik)

Pretty much your only option is a load-door which takes you to an internal cell. (Used for example for the "build your own vault" mod.) - note: This requires a separate workshop as well, if you want to be able to build things there.

No idea how to get your settlers to move there though.

Edited by RoNin1971

If possible, there would have been such a mod for a long time. Even the vanilla game hardly uses directly accessible cellars. Even the tiny one at sanctuary is a separate cell with a load-door.

Manipulating the landscape from within the game is near impossible. (A navmesh-cut object might work (not sure for ground), but you can't hide the ground/textures, afaik)

Pretty much your only option is a load-door which takes you to an internal cell. (Used for example for the "build your own vault" mod.) - note: This requires a separate workshop as well, if you want to be able to build things there.

No idea how to get your settlers to move there though.

No problem, this was more of s concept idea, rather than a request, but thanks anyway