Vortex keeps looking for games that don't exist

blankacc123

When I launch vortex, I get the I/O error in the attached screenshot. It happens for every game that I used to have installed but deleted later. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall vortex. I also tried deleting vortex files from documents, program files, the mod download directory, and the appdata folder. There are no managed games listed in the application.

edit: The screenshot didn't seem to work. The error is this:

I/O error (21)

Acessing "D:\games\steamapps\common\{game}" failed with an error that indicates a hardware problem. This may indicate the disk is defective, if it's a network or cloud drive it may simply indicate temporary network or server problems. Please do not report this to us, this is not a bug in Vortex and we can not provide remote assistance with hardware problems

You can try continuing but you do so at your own risk.

But I don't have the games period. It isn't a hardware problem because I don't want vortex to look for them in the first place. They aren't there. It isn't a hardware issue.

Edited by blankacc123

Guest deleted34304850

the error isnt about your games - read it - its saying your disk has a hardware problem.

The disk doesn't exist though. There shouldn't be anything trying to access a D drive. It isn't a drive error, it is that it just doesn't exist. Is there no way to tell vortex to stop looking for games on the D drive? I don't have one, stop looking! No other program is trying to read files from a D drive. This is what I mean when I say vortex is looking for games that don't exist

Guest deleted34304850

you say you've uninstalled vortex - if i were you, i'd get something like revo uninstaller and have that remove vortex and all remnants it finds.

then i'd try a new install - see what occurs?

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

I've spent the last 5-10mins trying to deliberately break my setup in a way that would cause this including breaking my Vortex state data and Steam manifests. I cannot replicate it.

I'd suggest reinstalling Steam as it's possible your registry is still telling Vortex that Steam is on D:\

Deleting steam did nothing. I will try register editing after researching a bit more. Don't want to break anything that currently works. Vortex runs fine btw, it just pops up with 20ish of those I/O errors every time I launch. Spamming ignore allows for normal use.