Skyrim - Modding the Thieves' Guild HQ

PJV

So I haven't made any mods in Skyrim, but a have a reasonable understanding of how it all works since I've taken a look at the creation kit and I've done mods in other games. I really don't like the looks of the thieves' guild hq (both the flagon and the cistern locations) when you've finished all of the quests to get the thieves' guild's influence back in all the cities, I'd rather it look a bit better. When I look at the location in the creation kit, it's as if the location's been maxed out. I want to make it so the upgrades I make only show up when I've finished those quests. How would I go about this? Also, what should I try to avoid when making changes to avoid messing with the paths of npcs and all that?

I was going to add a few items in there for one of my mods, but then I discovered that as you rise through the ranks the place gets changed, new NPCs arrive, an alchemy table is added etc. So I left it alone as I didn't want to mess with anything that could wreck a quest.

I don't have the skill to revamp an environment that is scripted to change as the game proceeds, but I am sure there are those who can. I am not much into "House" mods like that. But the safest thing might be to add new areas that are a little more salubrious and comfortable than the damp rat hole they have at the moment.

~.~