CTDs on save after meeting Esbern

Panruru

Hi y'all, I'm having problems with CTDs and am hoping someone can give me some advice. I just started the quest "A Cornered Rat" and am getting CTDs when I save, but only after meeting Esbern and exiting the Ragged Flagon.

I've been playing this savegame nearly 150 hours and have 345 mods installed (413 plugins including the bashed patch), but up until recently my game has been very stable. I've only had problems with CTDs twice, at locations where Alduin was raising dragons from their burrows. In both cases the CTDs stopped after leaving the area.

I've been taking my time with the main quest and just recently started "A Cornered Rat" where you find Esbern in the Ratway. Everything went fine until I met Esbern, and then suddenly my game is crashing almost every time I save.

I ended up reloading to before I met Esbern and that seemed to fix the problem, but I started getting CTDs again after exiting the Ragged Flagon.

I've tried using Resaver and running LOOT, but so far nothing has helped. I tried taking Esbern to Riverwood and waiting until he stops being my follower, but again got a CTD when I tried to save. I'm able to save in the Ragged Flagon, but get CTDs after leaving. What could be the problem? I know it's common for saves to become unstable this many hours into the game and with this many mods, but everything worked fine up until I met Esbern. I'd prefer not to uninstall my mods to troubleshoot because it would be a huge pain and risk breaking my savegame.

I know it's unwise, but I installed some new mods over the past three weeks (HSPlayerHomes - Honeyside, HSPlayerHomes - SeverinManor, Dunmerized Hjerim, Timescale 10, Vanilla Makeup HD, Civil War Aftermath, Siege Damage Repairs, and kryptopyr's Path Hub - Zim's Immersive Artifacts _ WACCF. I also updated Opulent Thieves Guild Patch Collection and reinstalled Fair Skin Complexion, ELFX, and The Carpathian Inn). Not sure if any of those mods could be the problem, but it seems weird that the CTDs don't start until after I meet Esbern and primarily after leaving the Ragged Flagon.

Also, I haven't updated my game since before the Anniversary Edition was released and am still running the last version of SKSE64 from before the release.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Update: I reloaded to before I entered the Ratway and tried following the instructions for Save Cleaner's CTD fix. It goes fine until I input "bat kill" and then I get a CTD. I'll try reloading to an even earlier save from before I started the quest and see if it works then.

Update: I tried reloading to after I started the quest but before I entered Riften and cleaned my save as instructed by Save Cleaner. It went fine and I had no issues saving or loading. Then I fast traveled to Riften, tried to save, and got a CTD. Reloaded, fast traveled to Riften again, tried to load my clean save, CTD. It seems like the problem is getting triggered as soon as I enter Riften, where the quest marker is located.

I remembered that I also got a CTD when I returned to the Greybeards during the quest The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller. So it definitely seems like the problem is related to the main quest.

I enabled logging and checked my Papyrus logs, and ... wow. Lots of errors. Lots of "missing file" and "cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property". Is that normal? I have no idea what all that means or what to do with that information, so I tried reloading to an even earlier save right after I got the quest.

I fast traveled to Riften and did a speedrun grabbing Esbern and taking him back to Riverwood. No crashes this time no matter how many times I saved, until I finished the quest and went to a small interior cell to try the Save Cleaner thing again. Got a CTD when I tried to save after running "bat start".

So, I'm stumped. It's good to know that it's possible to get through that quest without having a CTD, but I'm worried that if I keep going with this savegame I'll keep having problems like this. I'm not sure I'll have the heart to start over after getting so far into this save, so it's kind of upsetting ... not sure what else I can try, though.