Which PC parts are most pertinent to playing heavily modded (Bethesda) games?

Ok so I went to PC partpicker and took a look at the sample builds.

After checking out the ones that were in my budget range I then looked to the comment section only to findmuch debate.

Therefore my OCD brain went haywire and found myself paralyzed for almost a day =D

So perhaps I can just askwhich part should I start with? So far everyone seems to say that the graphics card is the star of the show.

So should I start there?

I swear it seems the anxiety behind deciding on how to build a PC is tougher opponent than building the PC itself

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So perhaps I can just askwhich part should I start with? So far everyone seems to say that the graphics card is the star of the show.

The GPU choice would depend on what monitor resolution and refresh rate you are intending to use.

For example, a 2560x1440@60hz monitor would require a stronger GPU than 1920x1080@60hz.

After checking out the ones that were in my budget range I then looked to the comment section only to findmuch debate.

Therefore my OCD brain went haywire and found myself paralyzed for almost a day =D

I believe that the sample builds are intended a starting point to customize for your own needs.

PCPartPicker will update them periodically as new hardware becomes available, and like almost everything else on the internet their choices are subject to debate. :smile:

In my previous post I also mentioned that the PCPartPicker forum has a section where you can post your requirements,budget, etc and other users can create a suggested parts list for you.

I swear it seems the anxiety behind deciding on how to build a PC is tougher opponent than building the PC itself

I understand that feeling.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($377.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ GameStop)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($699.95 @ Adorama)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2047.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-03 07:55 EDT-0400

How's this? :)

Does that build allow for a more modern monitor?

Also, 60fps would be the desired frame rate for any game to have that newer feel correct?

Sorry guys. Im trying but a lot of this still looks like Im trying to read a foreign language ^^;

I also feel this weird pressure to buy soonlike world events could soon make parts more expensive and hard to come by.

Well that certainly looks more affordable than my previously stated budget range- hard to say no to that.

Now I know some people have said that you dont really need any special parts to play modded games- that modded games are still just games.

However Ive also seen YouTube channels dedicated to mods say that certain mods are certainly more taxing on your system than others.

That being said, although Mr.Heyyou says the build hes just suggested would run Bethesda games quite well, would they be able to tackle a significantly enhanced bethesda game?

You could go for a meaner vid card. 3080, or 3080ti, and still be under your budget, and it would run anything you want, as modded as you want, and you would still have an eminently playable game. :) The hardware is significantly more powerful than even the recommended specs from when the games came out. :) That machine would run even a heavily modded game (textures AND script heavy mods) without even breaking a sweat. Likely last you several years before you even needed to start considering some variety of upgrade.

I run Skyrim, and FO4 on an i7 9700, 16gb RAM, and a RTX 3070, both games run AWESOME, though I don't consider my games "heavily" modded, they are most certainly modded. :D That machine is a couple generations newer on the proc, and a meaner vid card. (and the 3080 would be even meaner. :) ) I don't think you can tax that machine, without bumping into the mod load limit of the games. :D

Ok so I kinda rolled the dice a bit and went with the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread Desktop Processor with AMD 3D

V-Cache technology

So my guess is next I should go for a motherboard. The one recommended to me was an MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 MotherboardBut PC partpickersays there would be compatibility problems.

How do I go about choosing a motherboard (generally)?