Which PC parts are most pertinent to playing heavily modded (Bethesda) games?

But PC partpickersays there would be compatibility problems.

The only compatibility issue I am seeing with that motherboard is that you will need to add a CPU cooler, because the 5800X3D does not come with a stock cooler.

Some of the other AM4 motherboards (e.g. Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4) have a compatibility warning that the BIOS needs to be a certain minimum version to support that CPU.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The important thing is to start where your preferences lie. If you like purtee grafix, then start with the GPU. If you like fast processing, start with the CPU. If you like fast loading, start with a Motherboard that supports high end memory chip sets.

Prioritize what you want, start at the top, and make a "If money were no object" build. Then take a paring knife and stare whittling down and making trade offs to get within your budget.

Ignore most of the (stuff) you have read here, as it is mostly people trying to justify their mistakes to themselves.

Listen to the experts, and then pare their hyperbole down to coincide with published data. Every manufacturer publishes their equipment stats, and those numbers are generally on the conservative side to ensure they are easily obtainable in the field.

Consult with a pro at a custom build site, as most are more than willing to help, in the hope that you buy one of their custom boxes. And price a custom build. Custom builds cost a bit more, but they come with a warranty and service contract. Build it yourself, and you are the guarantor that everything is going to work together, it is built correctly and Murphy was sitting on the sidelines while you did all the work.

Finally, when you do the math to figure out how many fans to get, add two more. Remember the afore mentioned Murphy guy, he's an optimist . The numbers on cooling specs are based on "common usage" not the heavy, intense usage of a game.

And good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

bethesda dx11 games seem to run best with a nidia gpu due to better driver support in the past. but this may have changed. my amd rx 6600m runs fo4 nice at 1080p with dxvk wrapper.

you need at least a 6/12 core cpu with high ipc. configuration, a kind of thoughtful modding and reasonable ini settings are as well very important.

my 5600h 6600m notebook seems to work nice at 1080p, for 4k i recommend a RTX 3080 due to the 4k strength of this card compared to amd. more is always nice but expensive.

bethesda dx11 games seem to run best with a nidia gpu due to better driver support in the past. but this may have changed. my ams rx 6600m runs fo4 nice at 1080p with dxvk wrapper.

you need at least a 6/12 core cpu with high ipc. configuration, a kind of thoughtful modding and reasonable ini settings are as well very important.

my 5600h 6600m notebook seems to work nice at 1080p, for 4k i recommend a RTX 3080 due to the 4k strength of this card compared to amd. more is always nice but expensive.

Yup, yup. As in most things, more performance means spending more money. At least the pricing on video cards has gotten MUCH more reasonable of late. :D

• 8 months later...
In the past, Bethesda DX11 games have been known to perform better on NVIDIA GPUs due to better driver support. However, this may have changed over time. Personally, I had a good experience running Fallout 4 on an AMD RX 6600M at 1080p using the DXVK wrapper.

When it comes to performance, having at least a 6/12 core processor with high IPC (Instructions Per Clock) is essential. In addition, a thoughtful mod configuration and proper INI settings can make a big difference in game performance.

In my case, my laptop with a 5600H CPU and 6600M GPU runs well at 1080p resolution. If you are targeting 4K resolution, I would recommend considering the RTX 3080 because of its strengths in handling 4K compared to AMD's GPU. Of course, having a more powerful GPU is always beneficial, but it can also be more expensive.

Ultimately, finding the right balance between CPU, GPU, modding, and settings is the key to achieving optimal performance in Bethesda DX11 games.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

In the past, Bethesda DX11 games have been known to run better with NVIDIA GPUs due to better driver support. However, it's possible that this situation has changed over time. Personally, I've had a good experience running Fallout 4 on my AMD RX 6600M at 1080p using the DXVK wrapper.
When it comes to performance, having at least a 6/12 core CPU with high IPC (Instructions Per Clock) is crucial. Additionally, configuring your mods thoughtfully and adjusting the INI settings properly can greatly impact the game's performance.
In my case, my notebook with a 5600H CPU and a 6600M GPU works well at 1080p. If you're aiming for 4K resolution, I would recommend considering an RTX 3080 due to its strength in handling 4K compared to AMD GPUs. Of course, having a more powerful GPU is always beneficial, but it can also be more expensive.
Ultimately, finding the right balance between your CPU, GPU, modding, and settings is key to achieving optimal performance in Bethesda DX11 games.

Beth games have always been more about clock speed, than the number of cores. Even fallout 4, on it's 64 bit engine, barely makes use of two.... You will get better performance from a 3.0ghz dual core, than you will a 2.0ghz quad core.

• 2 months later...