MBPLAYZGAMEZ

Try NMM instead. FMM requires a FOMOD file which most mods do not have.

This is not true. If a mod is packaged correctly, NXMM and FOMM install them exactly the same way. If not, you'll have to fix the archive.

There are numerous mods which say use 'this' or 'that' mod manager so clearly there are a number of people who don't buy in to what what you claimed ( that they 'install exactly the same way'). The reason I switched from FOMM to NMM was to resolve issues I had with having to fiddle with mods to get them to install. Someone suggest NMM saying what I repeated above. I tried it and for me it has worked better.

The results difference (for me at least) would seem to bear out that while they are both very useful they are not identical. I keep both installed. NMM now for mods and FOMM for its tools. If it is just that that FOMM is more sensitive to packaging details or whatever is not particularly interesting to me; as all I want from a mod manager to to seamlessly install the mods I want without a minimum of fuss.

I'm not interested in an online fight with you or anyone for that matter. And I know what you may seem to sometimes lack in diplomacy you make up for with far more knowledge of the inner workings of the game then the vast majority of posters (myself included). So I am not defending what I said, rather I am pointing out only that for me at least your comments don't match my experience, the advice I've gotten from others nor the occasional comment(s) in some of the mods on here.

To mangle and misquote the boomtown rats:

'cos if there were no difference
then we'd see no difference
Have a nice day, and thanks for the help you gave me a few weeks ago.

I'll elaborate on the actual differences between the install processes for FOMM and NXMM.

First, we'll go over non-scripted installs, where you have a basic ZIP or RAR archive of the files included in a mod. In FOMM, these are added to the Package Manager using the "Add FOMod" option and pointing to the archive and in NXMM by clicking the "Add Mod from File" button and pointing to the archive. Upon activation in either manager the archive is extracted to the Data directory. The one major difference between the two--which I argued against when I tested the first open beta releases of NXMM--is that NXMM will first attempt to find the "root" folder of the mod's archive. A lot of mod archives are packaged incorrectly with a "Data" folder inside them, and FOMM will extract the archive as-is resulting in a folder structure such as "Data\Data\Plugin.esp" instead of the expected structure. The problem here is with the mod archives and not FOMM, and I argued against this functionality being included in NXMM on the grounds that it should not treat the install process differently than FOMM does in any way. I was ignored, of course, in favor of the unicorn of an idiot-proof installation process that absolves the end-user of any and all responsibility of knowing how modding these games actually works. Because of this, there are some mods that are still packaged improperly and should be corrected by the end-user but often are not because NXMM installs them without modification. If the mod authors package their mods correctly, this difference between the two managers is irrelevant and the install process is the exact same.

The other type of installation is scripted. Let me first say that I do not use NXMM for any game other than Skyrim. I have never attempted to run complex install scripts for mods such as PN, MCM, or uHUD in NXMM, as the admittedly old beta versions I tested with FNV were unable to run C# scripts at all. C# compatibility was included at some point later, but the program was still unable to open and edit configuration files--Fallout.INI or menu XML files--as required by some install scripts. Reportedly, this has been fixed in more recent versions of NXMM and the two programs should run both XML and C# scripts in exactly the same way. I doubt that there is zero discernible difference, but the actual file-extraction process should be identical.

The intent of my previous post was not to imply a lack of knowledge or to start an argument, merely to correct the assertion that FOMM requires the use of FOMOD archives or scripted installers.

As for mods that claim to install better with one manager over the other, you must remember that there was a time when NXMM couldn't run some install scripts at all and that some authors still do not package archives correctly. If all mod archives were correctly packaged, the difference between FOMM and NXMM in regard to FO3 and FNV would merely be NXMM's ability to download mods directly to its package manager versus FOMM's multitude of advanced modding tools.