Need help with mod idea

Elandan

Hi guys i'm new to modding community and want to make small rebalance for food and drinks for survival mode.

Main idea: It feels wrong when you can use unlimited different food to heal yourself at one time, so i want to cap it with exact number, maybe even rebalance lead belly perk so you can heal with more food at one time with every level of this perk. Also all food has same duration and i think it worth to change it too. Example: Deathclaw steak heal longer, but with slower hp/sec than grilled radroach or pre-war food.

Its not hard to change values using FO4Edit, but idk how to limit the amount of healing food at one time. I will be glad for any advice

You may have to look into scripting.

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking maybe a couple variables. One holds a maximum amount of food points allowed and the other holds the current amount of food points consumed. Compare one to the other to see if more food consumption is allowed.

You'll need to set up a timer to decrement that current food points consumed variable over time. I've never set up a timer but I know the MM kidnapping radiant quest has a timer. You may want to look at the script handling that to see how Bethesda did it. You might even want to have the timer be a variable to allow changing that value as well.

The maximum food points allowed value could be incremented with each level of Lead Belly or any other perk you decide.

Regarding HP per second, there's already that functionality in the food data. Under each Effect is a Magnitude and Duration. Magnitude is HP/Sec and Duration is total number of seconds. So, for example, you could set Deathclaw steak to have a Magnitude of 1 and Duration of 120 for a 120 HP (Magnitude * Duration) heal over a 2 minute period. FWIW, it's currently set to 18.5 Mag, 10 Dur (185 HP over 10 seconds). You could set radroach to 5 mag, 1 dur for 5 HP in 1 second.

Edited by 42sheep

The main handler script of the survival mode is "HC_ManagerScript.pex".

You can extract the .psc file of this script (.psc files are the source code of the complied .pex files) from "C:\Games\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\Base\Base.zip".

The script might seem quite complex if you haven't made Papyrus scripts yet though. (Any programming background certainly helps).

not wanting to UN motivate you but I consider the few custom drinks and beverages mods that i ever tried as MISTAKES because all of the drinks were for Player only to use and consume..

when the day comes that i see an NPC or Settler actually consuming or using a beverage or food item then i will take food/recipe/drink mods more seriously..

best of luck though,

just my feelings

TBH, if you want Survival to play like Survival there is only one option.

Remove healing effects from all food, and that includes water too.

The only function of food in Survival is to eliminate de-buffs the game gives you over time from not eating.

Meds are what you use to heal - and those come with de-buffs you need food and water to eliminate.

To address Drivinghard's comment, game difficulty has nothing to do with NPC's since you aren't playing as an NPC.

It's all about your challenges.

I mean you have NPC's that can't die, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to die either......

Food/Water = De-Buff.

Medicine = Heal.

Consider that and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by fraquar