Essential Oblivion Mods

ThoughtShift

I'm new to modding this game and wanted to ask some of the more experienced players here what would you consider the essential mod list for someone that was wanting the closest to an enhanced vanilla version of this game? I have the Steam version of the game and I want to play with a controller (I noticed the game doesn't really have true controller support). I would like to have a modern stable version with bug fixing and stability, maybe some graphical and quality of life enhancements but for it to still deliver as close to the same experience as the vanilla release. By this I mean nothing that breaks the lore or anything like that. Thanks and I look forward to seeing your suggestions. :)

OBSE Plugins:

EngineBugFixes

SkyBSA

Oblivion Stutter Remover (for Win above 7 you can try Display Tweaks)

Standard mods:

If nothing else you should really try male/female body and armor replacers - for males the Robert's bodies (V5.2), for females the most popular and supported seems HGEC bodies (I personally also use Robert's - they seem most natural to me).

For keyboard to controller you could try for example Keysticks, but I have no experience using such software, so I can't tell how much will be good for you (I'm playing Oblivion with keyboard myself).

Edited by RomanR

For control, be sure to set joystick to 0 in the ini. Then, I suggest xpadder. If you want to play other old games with no controller support, it should help there too. Also, its not expensive.

RTNM is a mod which adds incredible detail to Oblivion's vanilla textures. Much better than any of the fancy HD texture packs and with none of the performance hit HD textures bring.

OC Darker Nights makes the nights in Oblivion slightly darker. Not pitch black but enough to make a difference.