Really annoying bug with shouting

danielc

Randomly during combat I'll try to shout but it doesn't work. When I open the favourites menu the shout has disappeared from it and then eventually for whatever reason it comes back. The shout isn't recharging, and there doesn't seem to be anything interacting with me that would prevent shouting, I've even managed to trigger the bug in Breezehome when trying to figure out what's happening but can't get it to happen with any consistency. Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it, it's really frustrating.

No one has answered, so we can offer some guesses. Since it's random, your player doesn't have a disease, most likely.

For others to help you, they might want to see what mods you are running, because you may have an interfering mod that affects shouts, timers, cells, locations, passages of time., etc.

Also, you may need a mod, such as SKSE engine fixes, or USSEP, or SKY UI, or one you don't have yet.

So, some of the experts here can more precisely answer, once they know a bit more, about your set up, and how you run the game? From the vanilla and native load screen? From a Mod organizer tool?

Load order:

# Automatically generated by Vortex
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm
ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl
ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
SkyUI_SE.esp
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
RichMerchantsSkyrim_x2.esp
CustomDifficultyUI.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
Custom_Markers_with_Notes.esp
PyP_Legendary.esp
SkyHUD.esp
Unlimited Training Slow Skill Usage Leveling 1%.esp
Weightless Pickaxes and Axes.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

Ok, first off, it's literally disappearing from your quickmenu? I'd think that would have to be some other mod forcing it to a disabled state. And to that, I don't know "the answer", but speculating, based on your load list, it could be the training mod, the custom difficulty mod, or even the survival mode mod.

dunno what PyP_Legendary is, so I'll toss that in too. Even alternate start is potentially involved (although low on the list imo)

idk... check to make sure you didn't accidentally change the trigger hotkey? I'm sure it's a rare thing to happen, but I've done it once or twice over the past ~3 years.

Try shouting in God Mode? (This to override any "hidden" debuffs). If you can in god mode, at least it narrows the problem a bit. (since if it works in gode mode, it's not total failure of the shout command). Also, for shitzengiggles, try switching the shout you want to use, to "jar" the shout register.

Ok, first off, it's literally disappearing from your quickmenu?

Yes, but then randomly it appears again, it's not permanent. Jarring the shouts does work, but it's annoying when it doesn't trigger in combat when I need it to and can't see any reason why it shouldn't be.

IDK... Check the MCMs/ini settings for the mods I indicated earlier. Also, visit their mod pages and check to see if there's a known issue and a patch or other fix/workaround. Something is clearly changing your menu on the fly. With nothing else to draw from, I'd suspect another mod that's imposing some rule associated with its "reason for being", like "block player entirely from using shout if this condition isn't met, or this other condition IS met"

As Gorgopis alluded to, the only other reason I could think of is that you have a disease that's advanced to "harm" level, like when rockjoint eventually leaves you unable to move, or that brain disease stops you from using magic, etc. Maybe one give you laryngitis?

Also, We have another possibility. We use the Z hotkey for shouts, and it always works.

But. Maybe you have a hotkey conflict? (probably unlikely).

Or maybe your PC keyboard has a sticky/broken key (happened to us, our old R-key used to trigger multiple times on a very slight depress)?

We use washable keyboards, now. Not great gaming keyboards with mechanical switches, (sigh), but we eat and drink a lot while at our kbs.

We don't know anything about the custom-difficulty mod, but maybe it affects difficulty settings? Like how often your shout hot-key works, to kind of balance combat and gameplay, and return some advantage to enemies?

Like real life. Yikes! Under attack! Stress!! Can't shout! ??

Edited by Gorgopis