Heavy Traffic ×

Requesting help with F04Edit not seeing MO2 mods

Thales0123

Hello there, not even looking for an answer but even a pointer on where to go for an answer. (answers welcome though). Have fresh install of game. Have updated F04edit, ModOrg2, fresh stock game I'm trying to do by reloading all the mods onto from a Mod2 instance. Previously all the mods worked and I assume still do. They did a few hours ago anyway. Tested the new game with the script extender launcher, checked loot and made sure Loot can see the mod list (had to adjust settings in Loot to do so to point to new instance). Added F04edit to MO2 executables as standard. Unlike Loot there is nowhere in Fo4edit to point to things but I loaded it into the folder with the mod folder holding all the mods and the mo2 executable (though the clean stock game is in a different folder same drive). F04 edit sees just the master and creation club files and nothing else.

I've tried adding quickload and instance arguments to the F04 Edit without success they wont run or don't see anything. Any idea how I can get F04Edit to see the mods in MO2 or how to use it outside MO2 and point it to the folder? I just need to fix one essential decorating mod.

Thanks.

Hiya Thales!

Ok, so I think I have a pretty good idea what is causing the problem that you're having.

I think that since you've done all of your work through MO2, that your game hasn't properly setup a plugins.txt file. Which is the games record of which mods you have installed, and which ones are active.

XEdit requires that file, as that is what it reads to see what mod files that you have in your data folder.

Try this:

Start the game once, through the fallout4.exe file there in your root game folder. Go through the whole business of starting up a save game, and then quit the game.

That should build up your plugins.txt file.

Hopefully that's all it takes ;D

Good luck :)

First of all thank you so much for responding. I went in hunting for plugin.txts and did do a save creation. I can find the plugin.txt files in explorer and by navigating to the profiles in the MO2 folder and they are populated. But the F04edit never seems to point to them. They go to the appdata folder where there is no plugins.txt file at all and even when I copy and paste it in there manually it just seems to ignore it and not see it. I check the instance settings and the Location always points to (see screenshot 2). But when I GO to that location and show system/hidden files (see screenshot 3) no file. I even copied and pasted it there, but it won't see it. Just wants to be empty. I did notice in the apps folder under fallout4 there is a file on FO4Edit settings didn't know if that related to anything. Have I messed up the profiles and folder pointings?

I have even started fresh, brand new mod organizer installation in folder, all default settings. stock game. Downloading one nexus mod. Doing bog standard startup in game. Fo4 edit still never sees mod a single mod to check that is there working. Just the master DLCs and creation club files. I have no idea what to do next. I'll take alternatives to it. I thought I'd try Vortex. Same thing. The F04Edit always points back to the Steam file games when I'm not even using them. (again I'm using a stock game folder to work from so I can change things like base textures with 4k)

And they always look for the plugin txt in appdata which isnt written to with M02. And I don't see anyway to change it. Using the command switches for the arguments do not work.

Hiya Thales! Ok, I am SOOOO sorry for not getting back to you a LOT sooner! :pinch: :confused:

Work has left me completely worn out, and wholly anti-social lately :(

Ok, so it sounds like you're having the same problem I did, when I moved my Fallout4 folder over from a HDD to a SDD. And Xedit has no methods in it, to redirect it to look in new directions. :mad:

Essentially what I ended up doing was copying my original Game Folder over to the new hard drive. Then I renamed the folder of the original game folder, that was still there on the HDD. "Fallout4 Orig" is what I named it, but you can call in anything that you want. I then went in, and deleted out all of the Xedit folders and files from the original.

I keep a backup copy of Xedit on my external drive, so I then just Copy and Pasted them into the folder on the new SDD If you don't have the backup, download it again (MANUALLY), extract the files (MANUALLY) and then cut and paste them into your game folder (MANUALLY).

The reason that I keep saying manually, is because you don't wanna install this with a manager. Install really isn't even the correct term to use. Since there is no installer, its just placing the files in the folder that you want them to go into.

Now, that fixed it for me. But I don't use an installer, so I don't know what kind of measures that you will have to take to get Vortex or MO2 to see the new folder location that you're game is now in. Or whether or not you will even need to do that with the actual manager to work right.