Syncing Skyrim Across Multiple PC's

Korodic

So today I realized after coming home from college that I'd have to copy over my entire game if I want the same mods as on my laptop. I even turned off Steam cloud sync because the gamesaves from my PC and laptop were too different since my PC had different mods than my up-to-date laptop. I then decided to look into possible solutions for my problem...

I could place the entire game into Google Drive... but then how would Steam know I moved it? I've moved the game to a different directory before and steam throws a hissy fit. I then thought of possibly adding a crack on my game. But then again, cracks are unreliable and I wouldn't be able to get Steam to sync my gamesave files... I then thought, maybe I could trick Steam by creating a "junction" inside of Windows. A junction is a direct link (not a shortcut) from one folder to another. But how the hell do I do that? Turns out some cool kid made a program called "steam mover" that does just that. google it. Then it hit me, if I set up google drive to sync to my laptop and desktop SSD's and then junctioned skyrim on both my laptop and desktop I would have no issue :D Turn back on steam save sync and I'm golden!

Now I just need to figure out how I will have NMM sync my load order. Maybe I can just have one PC update skyrim's data folder instead of having to sync the 20gb+ of mods inside NMM to my google drive.

I'll be updating this thread once I have a solid solution. Anyone else have a similar problem? Anyone else have a different solution?

You could use a backup program like the great GoodSync

1. Install the games on the PCs you are going to use

2. create a Google Drive account and make both PCs access it

3. install a backup utility that syncs the game folder and the savegame folder into the google drive local mirror and schedule it running once every 10 minutes, or make it, manually launching the utility via shortcut on the desktop.

4. google drive will autonomously copy the updates into the remote folder, back and forth,

The load list is residing into the game folder, so it should be fine.