Oblivion Steam music bug

JazzIRevan

I would try re-installing the game. I have no other ideas what's causing this.

Alright, I think I found it. This is from the "Smite Of Order" mod. ^^'

The Sound FX file is enough to bug the music. Even without esp.

That's quite strange, did you also found why is that? Is it because of location or something with file itself? Normally you must define sound object in CS first to play it, also if file was located in Data/Sound/fx/... it shouldn't interfere with music.

In fact, I don't understand anything. Because it's not the only file that bugs my music. :/

It sounds like you have an empty MP3 somewhere. It plays, but has nothing to play. :wink: Well it plays silence.

What you can do is to listen to all the sound files, and see if you can find any that is silent.

Edited by Pellape

Also it could be problem how they're encoded. Using MediaInfo on original music files reveals that they're all in 192 kb/s stereo (2 channels).

I would add to Pellape's advice:

1. Backup all additional music files, use only the original ones:

Music/Battle/battle_01 through 08.

Music/Dungeon/dungeon_01 through 05.

Music/Explore/atmosphere_01 through 09.

Music/Public/town_01 through 05.

Music/Special/death, success and tes4title.

2. If music plays normally, simply add extra files one by one and always check the changes.

3. if you suspect some sound files (I think it's not a case) and it isn't wav, convert them to it, if you're able (and test them by playing in CS).

I would try re-installing the game. I have no other ideas what's causing this.

Alright, I think I found it. This is from the "Smite Of Order" mod. ^^'

The Sound FX file is enough to bug the music. Even without esp.

That's quite strange, did you also found why is that? Is it because of location or something with file itself? Normally you must define sound object in CS first to play it, also if file was located in Data/Sound/fx/... it shouldn't interfere with music.

In fact, I don't understand anything. Because it's not the only file that bugs my music. :/

I also asked myself the question. ^^'

So I intentionally attacked a guard to see if any music was going on.

But nothing. :/

No music seems to fail.

Also it could be problem how they're encoded. Using MediaInfo on original music files reveals that they're all in 192 kb/s stereo (2 channels).

I would add to Pellape's advice:

1. Backup all additional music files, use only the original ones:

Music/Battle/battle_01 through 08.

Music/Dungeon/dungeon_01 through 05.

Music/Explore/atmosphere_01 through 09.

Music/Public/town_01 through 05.

Music/Special/death, success and tes4title.

2. If music plays normally, simply add extra files one by one and always check the changes.

3. if you suspect some sound files (I think it's not a case) and it isn't wav, convert them to it, if you're able (and test them by playing in CS).

I also tested Oblivion without added music. Same problems. ^^'

I removed these folders that must belong to mods:

"distantlod",

"LSData",

"trees",

"Sound/FX/Smiteoforder",

"Sound/FX/NPC/Boar/Foot"

And just when I thought the sound would come back. The music stopped after 1h34.

Edited by JazzIRevan

No, the only directories relevant to music and sounds are Data/Music and Data/Sound. If you removed other directories or files, you can copy them back.

Did you test all files in these directories if they play normally? Oblivion is using only wav or mp3 files, so there shouldn't be any problem to play them for example in Media Player.

Did you backuped and removed all other files from Music dir except the original ones as I written?

However, since you wrote that the problem prevails even running Oblivion without any mods, I suspect there could be some external problem. Are you using some codec pack or audio enhancing software? I remember helping some guy, which used Nahimic, it made his Oblivion run at 5fps on his laptop.

Test this in the console. It will not solve anything though...

Thank you Pellape. I will test this.

No, the only directories relevant to music and sounds are Data/Music and Data/Sound. If you removed other directories or files, you can copy them back.

Did you test all files in these directories if they play normally? Oblivion is using only wav or mp3 files, so there shouldn't be any problem to play them for example in Media Player.

Did you backuped and removed all other files from Music dir except the original ones as I written?

However, since you wrote that the problem prevails even running Oblivion without any mods, I suspect there could be some external problem. Are you using some codec pack or audio enhancing software? I remember helping some guy, which used Nahimic, it made his Oblivion run at 5fps on his laptop.

Yes, they all work on VLC. :/
No audio enhancement software
Edited by JazzIRevan