Windows 8.1

FnorDragonrider

D2D is short for Direct2Drive, a more or less common form of digital distribution similar to Steam. That's distributions you don't buy the discs of but download the files from a website instead.

As you already have a disc version of the game, it can't be any of the downloadable distributions the providers of which tend to make life troublesome for their buyers. You should be as good to go with going to Windows 8.1 as every other owner of the disc version of Oblivion is.

My Oblivion disc for example runs fine in Win 8, with OBSE and everything, and it's even in a virtual machine, as I'm working on a MacBook but need a Windows environment for a tool to track my worktime on our company server... I'm not quite sure though if it's 8.0 still or 8.1 already.

DraketheDragon,

Thank you so much for explaining what the D2D is. I am glad I'm good to go with Windows 8.1 as it has the new Facebook Application I'm dying to use. :)

And I'm also guessing that if I get Skyrim on a disc then that should be okay to go too?

Happy Gaming!!!

And I'm also guessing that if I get Skyrim on a disc then that should be okay to go too?

If you're serious about not intending to get a Steam account as I read in another post of your's, then I'm sorry but no, that won't work.
"Every" distribution of Skyrim has to be activated online through a Steam account and registered with Steam or the game won't run. Skyrim is a Steam-exclusive game.

Even if you can buy disc versions of it, this only saves you some downloading, and only if you know how to trick the installer to use the disc and not just ignore it and download everything from the network all over instead. All updates, patches and whatnot will still have to be downloaded from Steam afterwards.

If you're serious about not intending to get a Steam account as I read in another post of your's, then I'm sorry but no, that won't work.

"Every" distribution of Skyrim has to be activated online through a Steam account and registered with Steam or the game won't run. Skyrim is a Steam-exclusive game.

Even if you can buy disc versions of it, this only saves you some downloading, and only if you know how to trick the installer to use the disc and not just ignore it and download everything from the network all over instead. All updates, patches and whatnot will still have to be downloaded from Steam afterwards.

Darn,

Because I've heard Steam can give a lot of people a LOT of trouble, and I didn't want to deal with it. I play Kingdom of Amular and it uses the Origin thing and it's a pain in the neck.....

You don't have to be online to play SkyRim do you? Man that stinks how they are doing that.... I don't understand why they are going through clients to play games......

• 2 weeks later...

Darn,

Because I've heard Steam can give a lot of people a LOT of trouble, and I didn't want to deal with it. I play Kingdom of Amular and it uses the Origin thing and it's a pain in the neck.....

You don't have to be online to play SkyRim do you? Man that stinks how they are doing that.... I don't understand why they are going through clients to play games......

my email is [email protected], I tried changing the DEP like the link you sent me suggested and now teh Game key code is invalid. /

Totally missing my Oblivion Fix. feel free to email me anything that you think can help Thanks

D2D is Direct2Drive. The thing to keep in mind is that the only versions of Oblivion that will work with Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) is the original disk versions (original or GotY, including the one that came bundled with Bioshock) or the version available from Steam. All other digital download versions (Direct2Drive, GameStop or Impulse) will not work with OBSE.

This new disk version that is now available (the Collector's Edition) are disk versions that require Steam to activate. As such, that version of Oblivion should also work with OBSE (I haven't tested that though).

Regardless of whether the game is disk version, Steam or D2D et al it will need to be patched to version 1.2.0416 (as seen on the lower left of the initial menu screen). The digital version (Steam D2D et al) should automatically be patched to the latest patch version. After installing a disk version check the menu screen for the version and if it's not 1.2.0416 then the correct patch will need to be applied (language version plus whether or not Shivering Isles is installed).

email not required here, if any of these games are online games, the software on these game should install all needed supp rot data ,that include .net BUT ! .net 3.5 is disabled in later windows 7 and 8, 8.1 is a nightmare to get it installed correctly.

if that D2D data , fails to validate, it is due to the system it's being installed on, if the game is installed already and validated and you install .net over it's support data, no, you have to start over. I don't own any of those games. I do know, some games connect and register only one time, once done, it's done, you can re due it. If you could, that leave open such a wide window for the wrong type of use. So i seriously doubt you can just reinstall it with out contacting their support. the games are old. 1 more year, and things start to get really hard for these to install.

digital and plastics are not the same animals, the script extenders are written for reasons and stable data. digital downloads are not stable, they change too fast.. they change because that window needs to stay shut. .net.......should not disqualify the games registry unless the validation is using that ? These others here know much more than I do about these games so I won't be E-mailing any one about this.

I wish good things for you.

kitty.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone ever picks up on this thread, I thought I'd mention that I just got a new HP with Windows 8.1 a couple months ago. I installed my Oblivion GOTY from CD (knew there was a reason to keep it around). The program works fine. I went to the launcher in c:program files.... and did a right-click, went to the 'Properties' and told it to run with XP compatibility. The game runs fine while running around the world, but it slows down with time (not sure why..never did it before). The menu screens (like stores, journals and maps) become excruciating slow. If I exit the game and restart, it runs okay for a little while (probably less than 30 minutes) and starts slowing down again. Eventually even the world travelling slows down if I keep pushing it.

So, The game runs. It's just a pain to have to exit every 30 minutes (presumably to purge memory?) The things I do for my Oblivion fix. Thanks Microsoft for ditching XP.