Microsoft .NET - Check Failed (Vortex 1.6.7)

abysswalkersoul

Just updated my Vortex and now it's not working.
I always get this error now.

I click "Fix" it downloads a new .exe, but then when I try to run it it fails and gives me this;

I tried manually installing the new version of .NET 6 from Microsoft, but the problem still persists.

Edited by abysswalkersoul
  • Like 1

Try manually downloading and installing the .NET 6 from here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.8-windows-x64-installer

Just had the same issue installing Vortex Windows 11 Pro, .NET 6.0 required offered to download. ??? I already have .NEt installed.....

.NET 6 and .NET Framework are two different things (although badly named). Vortex is reporting that you either don't have .NET 6.0 or that the install is damaged.

Edited by Pickysaurus

Try this:

The correct link is this: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.8-windows-x64-installer

There are different products offered by Microsoft under the name .NET.

".NET Framework" is the old runtime, the latest version of that is 4.8 released in 2019

The new one, called just ".NET" comes in different variants:

• SDK for developers
  • "runtime" for commandline/server applications
  • "asp.NET core runtime" for web server applications
  • "desktop runtime" for desktop applications

All in different variants based on the platform (x86, x64, arm, ...)

You need the desktop runtime for windows x64. Any version 6.0.0 or newer should be ok.

If you have a custom Program Files directory and run into this error the problem is probably a different one!

Even if you have .NET installed, if your Program Files directory is custom it likely also has non-standard permissions.

Usually program files has read&execute rights for the two special windows accounts "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES" which is required so that sandboxed processes can still run applications therein. This includes the .NET runtime.

Folders you create manually do not have these permissions by default.

The easy but insecure fix is to disable the sandbox functionality in Vortex, let the installers run unprotected. But please understand that apart from being less secure, this also only avoids the problem for Vortex. You still have a fundamentally misconfigured windows and other applications trying to use the windows sandbox functionality may also fail for this reason.

The correct fix is:

a) start a command prompt as administrator.

b) In the command prompt enter these two commands

icacls.exe "c:\Program Files" /grant "*S-1-15-2-1:(oi)(ci)(rx)"
icacls.exe "c:\Program Files" /grant "*S-1-15-2-2:(oi)(ci)(rx)"

Obviously change "c:\program files" to your actual program files directory.

icacls is a command line tool to control your file permissions. "S-1-15-2-1" and "S-1-15-2-2" are the internal ids for the two special accounts. "oi" stands for "object inheritance" and "ci" for "container inheritance", meaning you're granting permission not only to "c:\Program Files" but also to the files and directories within. rx stands for "read, execute" which is the permissions we need to grant.

If Tannin's solution doesn't work you can also try this:

Download the installer: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.8-windows-x64-installer

1. Open the folder where windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.8-win-x64.exe is downloaded to.
  2. Right-click in a blank space in the folder while holding "Shift".
  3. Select "Open Powershell Window here" or "Open Command Prompt here" - whichever appears.
  4. In the terminal that opens, type .\windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.8-win-x64.exe --repair
  5. Hit "Repair" in the .NET repair wizard

As an absolute final workaround you can head to Settings -> Workarounds and turn off the Sandbox feature. This is strongly discouraged as it removes protection from malicious mod installers from your PC.

If this Workaround is successful then it means something is wrong with your permissions settings in C:\Program Files\ that isn't allowing Vortex to access the .NET 6 files. You can check the folder properties and "Security" tab to see if the following entries are missing:

program_files_permissions.png?width=434&

Edited by Pickysaurus

Hi, I'm having .NET issues as well after updating, but I'm seeing a different window:

I've tried both links and the CMD Repair method with no change. Reverting Vortex to 1.5.13 works.

If it helps, here is my dotnet --info:

Edit: Disabling Sandbox in Settings did fix it, but my Program Files security window matches the screenshot above:

Not sure what the issue is...

EDIT #2 - Figured it out.

I have my default install path set to my E drive (via the registry), so DotNet was installing to E:\Program Files instead of C:\Proram Files. I had to add "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and the aforementioned permissions, and now the error is gone without the workaround in place.

Leaving this here in case it helps someone else with this very specific issue. :smile:

Hi, I'm having .NET issues as well after updating, but I'm seeing a different window:

attachicon.gif Vortex_2022-08-17_07-36-07.png

I've tried both links and the CMD Repair method with no change. Reverting Vortex to 1.5.13 works.

attachicon.gif DotNet CMD.png

Edit: Disabling Sandbox in Settings did fix it, but my Program Files security window matches the screenshot above:

attachicon.gif explorer_2022-08-17_07-44-32.png

I have my default install path set to my E drive (via the registry), so DotNet was installing to E:\Program Files instead of C:\Proram Files. I had to add "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and the aforementioned permissions, and now the error is gone without the workaround in place.

Leaving this here in case it helps someone else with this very specific issue. :smile:

Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this? Because the only thing working for me is disabling the sandbox, and my Program Files Properties are the same in the previous post. Still getting the access denied thing with certain mods just not installing. So far this thread is the only thing that has gotten me anywhere.

attachicon.gif Vortex_2022-08-17_07-36-07.png

attachicon.gif DotNet CMD.png

attachicon.gif explorer_2022-08-17_07-44-32.png

Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this? Because the only thing working for me is disabling the sandbox, and my Program Files Properties are the same in the previous post. Still getting the access denied thing with certain mods just not installing. So far this thread is the only thing that has gotten me anywhere.

Sure. Open a Command Prompt window, and type "dotnet --info". This should list the runtimes you have installed and their locations, hopefully all in a single Program Files folder. You can see this in my second screenshot above.

Next, find that Program Files folder (in my case, E:\Program Files), right click on it, Properties, Security tab.

Click on Advanced, then Change Permissions on the new window that opens. Click on Add, then Select a Principal, and type "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" into the bottom box. Then Check Names to confirm it's typed correctly. Click ok, and it'll return to that previous window. Make sure to hit Apply here before hitting Ok. It'll apply the change to everything in that folder, though some items may fail, which is fine.

Hopefully this screenshot explains the process well enough (ignore the fact that there's 2 locations, I just had to open a couple Properties windows to get it all in one shot).

In case someone reads this that's using a non-English version of Windows, yours may not be called "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES". Look at the Properties > Security tab for C:\Program Files. and copy the name from there in that case.