Nifscope Textures go flat when i try to rotate or scale

greekrage

Hi all...

Another weird issue (probably a limitation )

When ever i try to edit the UV maps on a scol (multiple parts connected to one texture) (like a housekit house scol where there are different pieces using the same texture...like doorway and wall trim)

The textures go to a flat base color . Example a brown wood texture would look like brown paper without any type of design on it .

The textures are fine because when i do the same on individual pieces (same as the ones in the scol ) the textures can be edited fine...

So is the issue with nifskope or is there something i need to do to allow proper editing ?

Also note even though i get no error if i save the nif and use it in CK....When i try to generate precombined visibility it takes several minutes for the cell the object is in and in game i get a plane of that texture(basically broken previs )...

x7LkfE.jpg

The precombine problem is likely due to the NIF having full precision trishapes in it.

Easiest way to clear the full precision flag on a trishape is with outfit studio.

Not sure about the texture problem tho.

fun fact...

some scols actually crash the outfit studio when i try to import nif....Scols that were made in the CK itself.

Also note in my original comment .. I said that visibility has the issue not precombined geometry( that usually crashes the CK if there is an object in the cell that has an issue)....

So assume that since precombines are OK with the nif then Visibility isnt generating properly due to something else like perhaps the textures of the object...?

I also looked at some scols that had the flat color issue in outfit studio and there wasnt a precision trishape flag on the parts that had the issue.

BTW... this only happens with these type of scols made out of HouseKit parts and the covenant houses i try to retexture... So i have to explore those pieces and see why...

Update:

Just took a couple of scols that were working fine in CK and ingame with zero issues to precombine/previs generation (built them piece by piece with edited nifs (retextures) ....

As soon as i put it in nifskope and without touching anything and saving....The nif was broken due to sanitizing of names upon saving....

Now the nif that previously worked fine with previs takes forever to generate visibility and corrupts previs ...

Is there anyway to fix the sanitation ? or will simply disabling it be ok when working with scols ?

-------------------------

Update again...

Even with sanitizing off just saving the scol changes something that the CK doesnt like...and still causes issues...

Also all of these scols work fine ingame if i make a recipe and put them in the workshop.......So im guessing its an optimization issue that i dont know how to fix or what to try in nifskope

Edited by greekrage

You can disable the name sanitizing in nifskope. In File menu , uncheck "Auto Sanitize before Saving".

This feature also tends to break other stuff like animations when it's enabled, so I've disabled it long time ago. No regrets.

It's also still possible to manually sanitize, even if the auto feature is disabled.

Upload your SCOL NIF (a broken one) somewhere, I will take a look.

You can disable the name sanitizing in nifskope. In File menu , uncheck "Auto Sanitize before Saving".

This feature also tends to break other stuff like animations when it's enabled, so I've disabled it long time ago. No regrets.

It's also still possible to manually sanitize, even if the auto feature is disabled.

Upload your SCOL NIF (a broken one) somewhere, I will take a look.

Here are a few that just passing through nifskope and saved cause the issue and crash outfit studio if i try to import (the scols from CK open fine in outfit studio if NOT saved via nifskope ).

These are the 3 that i made into a small mod just now so that i could include the textures and materials (they also have recipes that work fine in game but cause the texture glitch in CK when generating PrecombinedVisibility..

https://easyupload.io/4q1uu6

Also just noticed that outfit studio doesnt like any SCOLS created in the CK by me (even from other older mods that i tried......These are scols that were never touched by nifskope)

Files that were put through nifskope that are single object nifs like the light house that was re-textured in nifskope work fine in outfit studio....

So question is what is it about the scols that causes the crash...Is it the naming of the objects ? Because remember that nifskope tries to sanitize scols with a naming issue (scols that came directly from the CK )

Also note:

To solve my previs issue and move along with the mod...I had to retexture every single piece in nifskope separately for each texture version i needed and simply built the houses again from scratch that work fine with previs... Hence all textures and materials i used have zero issues. So the problem is solely in Nifskope and what it does when saving (sanitized or not)...

The problem that i want to use the same scols and make variations in textures which means that i have to make copies of all the parts and retexture them all for each variation (imagine scols that have 20-30 parts each have to be copied and edited 3-4 times each )

Edited by greekrage