How can you debate if you believe in relative truth?

Dicecaster

Here is my understanding of relative truth: All truth is relative to the individual (i.e. something true for me does not have to be true to others), except for the concept of relative truth itself, which is true for everyone. So, for example, I can believe that owning a weapon is wrong*, and that's true for me. But maybe you believe that there is nothing wrong about owning a weapon, and that's true for you. Belief and truth are the same thing (or are, at least, mutually inclusive).

* Which, to be clear, I don't.

But debate is centered on getting other people to believe that what you believe is true. "I think guns are wrong, and here's why you should also believe guns are wrong." And, by trying to change their belief, you are trying to change their truth. But why would you try to make them believe that what you believe is right, if what they believe is also right? What's the point?

This is my understanding. All advocates of relative truth, please explain your understanding to me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debate is about consideration of facts and the implications of a specific position or circumstance. If debate were to change belief or opinion, then very little would ever be done in business or government.

Relative truth is a false concept.

The law of non-contradiction says two contradictory statements cannot both be true at the same time.

It is further a false concept because of the law of excluded middle. Something is either true or false; there is no third option, as would be necessary for a relative truth to exist.

Truth is absolute and narrow because it excludes its opposite. Relativists will argue that one cannot truly know reality and thus absolute truth does not exist, but this is an inconsistent argument.

1 plus 1 equals 2; this is an absolute truth and is reality and while one may want to debate whether or not 1 plus 1 equals 2, that doesn’t change its absolute truth.

Debate to identify a “truth” is an outlandish idea as something that is a truth cannot be debated.

However, relative truth is at best an opinion based upon specific conditions. Relative truth can be debated because it is neither true nor false, it is a position based upon specific conditions, and conditions can (and do) change.

Most folks try and convince other folks that they are "right", and their point of view is the only correct one, when someone elses point of view does not agree with theirs.

read the comments on any political article. You will see both sides saying the exact same things, with just a couple names swapped.

"if party x thinks that plan y is going to accomplish anything, they are crazy". And not even that polite. You can insert any values you care to for x, and y. Just doesn't matter. That's what it is all about. Convincing someone else that your 'right' should also be THEIR "right".

All this being said...I once offered we call this not the "Debates" Forum but the "Strongly-worded Opinions with occasional factoids dropped in" Forum

Because that is all we (me included) typically do.

A real formal debate like a debate club would do is school is not what happens here.

It is hard to debate some facts, like 4x3=12, though under the latest educational reform here in the US (Common Core) if you say 4x3=11 and show how you got there, you get credit.

If you tell a lie often enough, it becomes truth, a truth which is hard to shake even with real facts.

It is hard to debate some facts, like 4x3=12, though under the latest educational reform here in the US (Common Core) if you say 4x3=11 and show how you got there, you get credit.

Now that is honestly one of the most ridiculous statement to make about Common core that is so misleading to the point it is just total misinformation... Common Core is about providing a consistent and clear understanding of what students are expected to learn so the U.S. can compete on a global level of understanding and education. The problem is regulating the standards effectively and efficiently state by state. Common Core in no way is about providing credit to students just by showing their effort when answers are incorrect...

http://www.corestandards.org/

I guess... "If you tell a lie often enough, it becomes truth, a truth which is hard to shake even with real facts."

Edited by colourwheel

Now that is honestly one of the most ridiculous statement to make about Common core that is so misleading to the point it is just total misinformation... Common Core is about providing a consistent and clear understanding of what students are expected to learn so the U.S. can compete on a global level of understanding and education. The problem is regulating the standards effectively and efficiently state by state. Common Core in no way is about providing credit to students just by showing their effort when answers are incorrect...

I guess... "If you tell a lie often enough, it becomes truth, a truth which is hard to shake even with real facts."

You obviously never saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0VxxoCrNo

Honestly with Common Core, I don't know. I don't think it's as good as they say it is, nor it is as bad as they say it is. I only know most of my friends who have kids, don't like Common Core and think it will actually harm education. I don't have kids, but I just remember the 4x3=11 cause it was so stupid.

Edited by rizon72

You obviously never saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0VxxoCrNo

lol After watching the short vid you linked it seemed you missed the entire point of her "hypothetical" example. They want students to "explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer." Never once was the video implying in any way shape or form of "giving credit" to students for incorrect answers but more so helping them to understand why they came up with the wrong answers to begin with...

Edited by colourwheel