Fallout New Vegas 2 May be on the works

gabrielrock19

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is stylistic direction.

Fallout 4 try to go another direction and it doesnt look well.

Fallout 3 is urban destruction and that course has ended. There's too much in that vein now: Stalker, etc...

Fallout New Vegas is western cowboy after apocalypse and again, it has ended. Outer World is actually another experiment in this vein, retrofuturistic in space (Zeta but older) and it failed.

Fallout 5 would go where? 3D exploration ala space station after destruction?

I disagree.

There is enough of a demand for the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout that there is actually a TV show in the works. This world is nowhere near at its end.

Fallout 4 didn't go off in a different direction stylistically. In many ways, they returned stylistically to the roots of Fallout. The problem with Fallout 4 is that they took a very well loved RPG series and made it into a brain-dead shooter. The worst part of it is that there were some quotes from folks at Bethesda who said that they thought they were making a proper Fallout game, which would indicate that it's not a problem of them not wanting to make a proper RPG, it's that they are actually incapable of making a proper RPG.

Between that and FO76, a lot of people (myself included) do not have any confidence at all that Bethesda is even capable of making a Fallout RPG.

The folks who want FNV2 don't want a Fallout 4 style shooter. They want a return to the FNV RPG type of game, where choices actually matter, and conversations have meaning. That's why all of these fans (again, myself included) are pushing for FNV2 and not FO5. We have so little confidence in Bethesda at this point that we want Obsidian to make FNV2.

Bethesda can make FO5 if they want. We're not going to buy it. That's not what we want.

If you think this course has ended, you really need to pay attention to how many comments there are all over the internet about fans wanting FNV2 whenever a new game in the Fallout series is mentioned.

My prediction is that FVN2, if it ever comes to be, will be set on the west coast, with a lot of callbacks to previous Fallout games that were set on the west coast (FO1, FO2, FNV). FO5, which is definitely coming out and will most likely be produced entirely by the Bethesda folks in Microsoft, will be east coast, and will have callbacks to FO3 and FO4.

FNV2, if it comes out, will be a proper RPG, or it's going to anger all of the fans who keep asking for it.

FO5, who knows? Will it be another brain-dead shooter like FO4? There is a tendency for Bethesda games to get more and more brain-dead as the series go along. FO4's main quest literally held your hand the entire way, and only let you make one decision that actually mattered. Skyrim's main quest was formulaic and predictable, and Skyrim's "puzzles" were kindergarten level at best. Skyrim's side quests were short and underdeveloped. FO4's side quests were all just either fetch quests or go kill something quests. They were so brain-dead that there wasn't much development needed. A lot of them were radiant quests, where basically the quest giver says "go somewhere and do something" and then you get a note that fills in the blanks for what you need to actually do. There are ways of doing radiant quests so that they aren't so brain-dead, but Bethesda doesn't seem to understand that. After all, FO4 is just a shooter. Who cares what the details are? You don't need a story that makes sense when the entire quest is just go here, shoot that thing. Maybe fetch something while you are there.

So, "Fallout 5 would go where?" is a very interesting question. If it keeps going along Bethesda's current path, then it's safe to say that the Fallout RPG is completely dead, and Bethesda RPGs in general are dying. I won't be buying anything more from Bethesda. If FO5 returns to its roots as an RPG, then things could get interesting.

But one thing is for certain. The Fallout world has definitely not run its course. Bethesda might kill it through their own incompetence, but there is a huge fan base out there and a huge amount of lore to still explore.

• 3 weeks later...

Fallout New Vegas 2 is definitely not in the works. Obsidian tweeted this the other day:

Happy 25th Anniversary to the original Fallout! A franchise whose roots helped form us and a world we truly love.
And before anyone asks, our plates are pretty full right now, so no.

• 1 month later...

Brazil's nation also fascinates me. Remember Project Brazil? What if, in Fallout New Vegas 2, you'd be able to traverse the world all the way to South America and "emigrate" to its largest, old-world style nation - completely untouched by the nuclear war between the US, China, USSR and the European Commonwealth. After all, as far as we know, Brazil could have retained its historical neutral stance in the great conflict; thus it became the most powerful nation in the post-apocalypse, a sort of isolated "old world paradise".

Project Brazil was always a mod about California though.

You know with the development of Fallout: London bringing the story to other nations, it makes me think; Fallout: New China. You can get a choice between an American Adventure by ship or born in post-apocalyptia China much like Fallout 3, but either story will show how they survived and rebuilt after the war. I don't know, could be fun.

In any case, another New Vegas/southwestern-style Fallout game would likely take place in California, Mexico, or maybe even Texas. It would probably involve a power struggle between NCR government and other parties shortly after 2281 based what Marcus said to the Courier: "They keep rolling over people, they'll regret it. That's how revolutions start."

After the downfall of Caesar's Legion the NCR has no opposition to fight except for themselves.

Edited by RexDarvog

I'd happily play a new Mojave themed Fallout. I like big, open, desert-looking landscape. I always have. It gives me a certain feeling to be in that environment.

I also wouldn't mind the Fallout 3 setting again too, I like its gritty, metal appearance. I feel like that kind of environment can all be done again.

Think of it like this as well, all the younger generation which didn't grow up with F3 and New Vegas would be given a chance to play Fallout in the same setting as we did. :)

Edited by HedgehogMods31

Fallout 4 try to go another direction and it doesnt look well.

Fallout 3 is urban destruction and that course has ended. There's too much in that vein now: Stalker, etc...

Fallout New Vegas is western cowboy after apocalypse and again, it has ended. Outer World is actually another experiment in this vein, retrofuturistic in space (Zeta but older) and it failed.

Fallout 5 would go where? 3D exploration ala space station after destruction?

The real question about Fallout 5 going where is - what timeline do you use?

Fallout 1 - in 2161.

Fallout 2 - in 2241.

Fallout 3 - in 2277.

Fallout NV - in 2281.

Fallout 4 - in 2287.

The further you go away from the Ground Zero event, the less sense trying to tell a story (and depict a world) of nuclear holocaust makes.

That is what is killing the franchise, it's little more than a shooter RPG which has lost any semblence of RPG - because the world/timeline you live in makes no sense anymore.

Oddly enough arguably the worst Fallout game released takes place in the timeframe that likely makes the most sense - Fallout 76 - a mere 25 years from the bombs falling.

• 6 months later...

Because the essence of Fallout universe is retrofuturism. You know, that weirdo concept of a future imagined by the 50s people as thought by the 90s devs thinking 50s should have imagined. plus Post Apocalypse.

That combo is too weird for normal setting, normal POV.

And F4 is trying to be normal POV to please the new FPS crowds. While F76 is 25 years after the Event, too new to consider Post Apocalypse, which is mostly ruins and maybe are rebuilding. F76 is too new to be Fallout~

No wonder we spit on F4 and F76 like free spitting event~