Custom Follower spawning with Incorrect Face

Waffington

I ran into an issue with Faye [[ Seductress Faye - Custom voiced FG Follower. at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com) ]] spawning in topless. It was a Schlongs of Skyrim issue causing armor slots 52 and 32 to not be worn at the same time.

I made the mistake of trying to fix this in the Creation Kit rather than through SSEdit (I didn't realize that was an option). I corrected the issue by opening Faye as the Active File and changing her "Panties" armor to use slot 48 and then saving the edited plugin. When I exited the Creation Kit though, it mentioned missing facegen textures, etc. I figured it was some weird nonissue, loaded the game, and found her with her top now correctly worn but with a totally new face.

I redownloaded Faye, her UUNP bodyslide files, the Flowergirls mod that she relies upon, and even verified the integrity of my Skyrim SE files just in case something in there got deleted (then went through and cleaned up ITM's again). Despite Faye's unique head and body textures all being present within the mod folder, she still ALWAYS spawns in with the wrong face. I checked in the Creation Kit again and it mentioned her head texture and facetint still being missing, despite being able to find all of her textures in her mod folder and everything (as far as I can tell) being labeled correctly.

I don't know what went wrong, seemingly something with me having tried to edit her armor originally through the Creation Kit and saving the mod from there, though I did redownload the mod; perhaps something in Skyrim/Dawnguard/etc. got changed that would effect this? Though, again, I did Verify Integrity to make sure the original game files were all intact.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Maybe you accidentally exported her facegen data. That would explain the changed head.

The most likely explanation would be, that something with the plugin you created went wrong.

What happens, if you disable your plugin? Is she back to normal then?

And did you try simply editing the armor slots in XEdit and saving the plugin - without creating a new one?

Yes, my approach was to edit the plugin by altering the armor slot and saving it; I did not create a new plugin.
There is only one plugin then, and the face texture issue persists even after deleting the plugin and redownloading a fresh one from Nexus.

"[A]ccidentally exported her facegen data" seems like the right analysis. Does that mean I may have somehow saved her face texture as a different path? Could the plugin, even when freshly downloaded, be accessing some other file instead of the proper one? It's confusing, as the proper textures are present in the mod folder and they show up in xEdit, and it should be standalone.

Just had a look at the content of the follower's BSA archive (first of your pics). Obviously, the facegen data is included in that BSA archive.

Now, assuming the "accidentally exported facegen" theory is correct, that could explain your problem: Loose files always "win" over files of the same name and in the same folder structure in BSAs. So, your "new" facegendata (which would be loose files) would override the one from the mod, even if you reinstalled it...

Solution:

Check SkyrimSE/data/textures/actors/characters/facegendata/facetint for anything, that has to do with "fayefg" or something like that - and delete it. OFC making a backup is always a good idea before deleting anything...

Repeat with this folder: SkyrimSE/data/meshes/actors/character/facegendata/facegeom. Again, if there's anything related to faye, remove it.

Good luck!

Just opening and saving a mod in the CK will automatically generate new FaceGen for any NPC's, unlike in LE where it had to be done manually with CTRL+F4.

What you're probably seeing is that auto-generated facegen, which are now sitting as loose files in your data folder and overwriting the proper facegen in the mod's .bsa's.

Look for and delete the following two folders and that should hopefully return her to normal;

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/FayeFG
Data/Textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/FayeFG

Edit:

Lol, ninja'd by Algabar :D

Edited by Hanaisse

Just opening and saving a mod in the CK will automatically generate new FaceGen for any NPC's, unlike in LE where it had to be done manually with CTRL+F4.

Thanks for the info. I had assumed something like that, but wasn't sure. I mainly use the LE CK and "port" mods to SE/AE....

Edit:

Beware of the ninja sheep... :ninja:

Thank you everyone! Problem officially solved:

What you're probably seeing is that auto-generated facegen, which are now sitting as loose files in your data folder and overwriting the proper facegen in the mod's .bsa's.

Look for and delete the following two folders and that should hopefully return her to normal;

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/FayeFG
Data/Textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/FayeFG

Edit:

That's an interesting move, making the Creation Kit automatically generate new data like that.
Glad there are people active on these forums with a lot more knowledge than me.

:thumbsup: