Skyrim + Radeon HD 8970M?

Mi7Sama

Hey guys,

last week I got me a new computer, which should be pretty okay for gaming (i7 Quadcore, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 8970M, etc.). Sadly I had to notice that Skyrim's FPS rate is pretty ridiculous regarding the computer's specs. It's unplayable actually (even without any mods). To me it seems that the problem is the Radeon card, as the Skyrim launcher apparently isn't capable of detecting it as a GPU. When hitting "options" the dropdown menu only shows me the onboard thingy (Intel HD Graphics 4600), which of course isn't able to run Skyrim properly.

Can anyone tell me how to make Skyrim use the actual GPU instead of the onboard version?

When reading reviews of the Radeon card online, they say that games like Skyrim can be played without any problems. So I guess there has to be a way of playing Skyrim while using the Radeon HD 8970M. Please tell me that there's a way of making this work. I'm about to freak out thinking of having bought a new computer that can't run games, which are 2 years old :sad:

Thank you very much in advance~

Edited by Mi7Sama

Hey again. I manged to solve this problem after doing some research on how to change what GPU the computer uses. Actually the Radeon comes with a program called Catalyst Control Center (CCC), which gives you the possiblity of applying the preferred settings for any kind of application (which is really neat).

Never had a system with two GPUs, so sorry for the unnecessary question.

• 2 weeks later...