1. 1. Good idea?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
  2. 2. Possible idea?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe

So, say you die, doesn't really matter how. So then your player character, upon death, is sent to an afterlife, depending upon which quests you've done so far, or you can choose your preferred afterlife when you create your character.

How do you get back to Tamriel, and more importantly your body with all of your loot and stuff? Well, that would depend...

• If you chose the afterlife of Sovngarde, you would have to venture through the soul snare (or not, depending upon if you finished the main story quest or not) and reach the Hall of Valor, where you could appeal to Ysmir/Shor to be returned to the mortal world. A side quest or three might need to be done before you can return.
  • If you chose the reincarnation afterlife, you get to create a new character! Don't worry, your old body will still be left where you died, so this is an opportunity not only to try again, but to also get yourself some cool stuff the moment you start, or once you reach your other body. You don't get to keep your kids or your spouse though, so good luck trying to find someone else.
  • If you were soul trapped, you get to go to the Soul Cairn, regardless of which afterlife you chose. You would have to appeal to the Ideal Masters, who would give you a number of side quests to return to your body, but not without a random debuff.
  • If you are a werewolf, you get to go to Hircine's Hunting Grounds. You can hunt things forever as a werewolf! But, if you get bored of it, you can appeal to Hircine to let him send you back to your body.
  • If you're a Nightingale, you get to go to the Evergloam, where you can become the shadows of Tamriel. You can appeal to Nocturnal to send you back, but not without striking a deal and paying your debts.
  • If you're a Dark Brotherhood assassin, you get to go to the Void! There is absolutely nothing here, except for Sithis, who can only be perceived as a red light. You can try to appeal to him to send you back, or you can try finding Anu, who is a blue light, and he will send you back right quick.

If you apply for more than one of these, then you get to chose your afterlife when you die.

EDIT: I forgot a few things! D:

Other Afterlives:

• If you chose the Moonshadow afterlife, you get to go to a place where everything is bright and colorful! You can appeal to Azura, who will promptly send you back to your body.
  • If you chose the Snake Mount afterlife, you get to wander through an endless maze until you find Boethia, where you can battle her other champions in order to return back to Skyrim.
  • If you chose the Apocrypha ending, you get to try and find the right Black Book to get you back to your body! Be careful, one could summon a bunch of dremora, others would give you a crippling debuff. If you are already the champion of Hermaeus/killed Miraak, then the old Herma-Mora will send you back or direct you to the book that does the least amount of damage.
  • If you chose Ashpit, you get to try and find Malacath. Once you do, you have to battle him in order to get yourself back to your body.
  • If you chose Deadlands, you get to try and find Mehrunes Dagon and get him to send you back, either through battle or trickery. Often times, you'll just have to resort to getting a sigil stone and opening a portal back or getting a dremora to banish you back.
  • If you chose Coldharbor, you either get to appeal to Molag Baal to get you back, or if you character is female, you can go through the the pledge and some back as a pure-blooded vampire.
  • Scuttling Void, realm of Namira. Corpses everywhere. You can try and find Namira at the top of her bone throne, where you would have to try and appeal to her, either by eating a corpse or defeating a monster that is giving her subjects trouble in her realm.
  • If you chose the NEVER ENDING PARTY!, you get to chill with Sanguine, who would send you back once you beat him in a drinking contest.
  • If you chose the Shivering Isles, you can try to talk sense into Sheogorath, but it may take a few tries to get him to send you back to Nirn. Otherwise, you can try to talk to the dukes of the Isles, but that may take a few tries, too.
  • If you chose Quagmire, then you get to see a bunch of horrific stuff. You can try to get Vaermina to send you back, but she will probably want send you back to give a certain amount of nightmares to people as an exchange.

After being sent back:

• If you died in a bandit camp, your body will still be left where it was. Some expensive stuff is missing, but you can get that back from assorted chests around the camp. Unless you cleared it out, then everything should be there.
  • If you died in the wilderness, you wake up like normal with nothing missing except for maybe food.
  • If you died in a dungeon or barrow, some of your low level weapons and armor (clothes through steel) may be missing, which will be worn by the draugr or whatever else is around.
  • If you die near a town or city, you wake up in a Hall of the Dead! Either that, or you wake up in a hole that was about to be filled, but you started waking up, so they stopped.
  • If you die in a Forsworn camp or redoubt, you wake up on an altar, about to be sacrificed to the Old Gods for some ritual. At the sight, the nearby Forsworn run away, screaming about how they did the wrong ritual.
Edited by 3EyeSudios

I really like this idea. There are a few death mods out there, but none of them quite fit what I'd want. This would come closer than any of the others. My main desire for a death mod is to have the gods of Nirn play a role. Currently, they don't seem to at all from any of the death mods I've seen.

• 6 months later...

so heres my thoughts.

a) its cool ideas

b) it would take alot to do and even more to do right.

c) realms would have to be big enough to not feel like just a dungeon or something and they would need some unique assets

d) some of the daedra dont want puny mortals in their realm, they wouldnt let you in. some of the realms havent been seen by mortal eyes

I loved the mod for Oblivion where you would have to escape from Oblivion if you died. It felt very appropriate for the game given how big a part of the story Oblivion was. The afterlife is obviously a significant part of skyrim as well but this is seriously a HUGE request. It's enough trouble creating a single additional worldspace that teams of modders spend years working on it. You're requesting, what, a dozen new worlds? Many that players would never ever see or only see once. It's just too much effort for too little gain.

The concern about having so many potential afterlives is valid, but it's also partially alleviated by simply working on it in stages. Get the initial setup working with one world and a framework to easily add more. Then each can be worked on without worrying about whether or not the entirety will ever be completed. It may never quite live up to what's listed here, but it would be better than how the game handles death in vanilla.

Too bad there aren't a lot of freelance modders taking requests this size, because it's damn amazing. Perhaps, if you have done multiple daedric quests the daedra will tear your soul apart and you would have to do multiple afterlives in order to be "complete" again.

The concern about having so many potential afterlives is valid, but it's also partially alleviated by simply working on it in stages. Get the initial setup working with one world and a framework to easily add more. Then each can be worked on without worrying about whether or not the entirety will ever be completed. It may never quite live up to what's listed here, but it would be better than how the game handles death in vanilla.

You make it sound like that's not already a sizable request.

Any time a mod requires "a framework" for expansion, the complexity increases by an order of magnitude.

I'm not meaning to make it sound like it's easy. I'm simply pointing out that it's much more doable than the idea of tackling it all at once.

EDIT: This is something that's been on my to-do list for a long time (since well before this post). I may decide to get started on it soon. This mod is a bit more comprehensive than I planned. But the scripting (which, aside from the level design, is 99% of the work) is something with which I've become quite comfortable. I'm not promising anything. I can't say it'll be a smooth ride or that it'll even happen. But I'll think about it. If nothing else, I might be able to lay the foundation so others can create the different realms and simply incorporate them.

Edited by Xander9009