Oblivion random crashes

gotxbrains

yeah so i got oblivion and started playing. Before i played i got a bunch of mods, installed them correctly and everything. I loaded everything up and the first time i ran it set quality to ultra high... Now every so often, like after a half hour of play, the game will do some random things.

1. it might keep running perfectly, except everything will go black, you can't even see the menus. You can still hear sounds though, and you can see the console if you press the ~ key.

2. it might just go black and not work at all, and the only way to exit is to press ctrl+alt+delete. sometimes that doesn't work and i'll just have to shut down.

3. sometimes when i'm going through a door, from an interior to exterior of vise versa, it'll go black and do that thing where it plays a sound except it's 1 second of it looping and it's really loud, and then my whole computer freezes up and i have to restart.

4. sometimes when i'm loading a game the "Oblivion has encountered a problem and needs to close" box will pop up during loading and then close. This is fixed by disabling a certain mod. ( i can close it then and re enable it and it'll work fine)

So i thought it might be something with mods. I uninstalled, got rid of all mods, reinstalled and loaded the game up without any mods at all. I got a little bit in, clicked on one of the assasins in the tutorial and was taking his robe(cause it looks cool) and there was some weird coloring behind it when i clicked. i exited and pressed tab to open my menu, but it didn't open it only went black and i had to click ctr alt and delete. it didn't show up so i had to restart... yeah anything else you need to know to help me fix my problem?

edit: the reason i'm posting is because yesterday it went too far. I was playing it had some random crash and i had to restart. I turned my computer on and it asked me to start in safe mode. anything i chose it would act like it was loading, freeze, pop up a blue screen with white text for like a nano second then restart. it did that for about 8 hours, and i fell asleep woke up and it worked suddenly. I'm afraid of it happening again, because maybe it might not fix itself...

black screen is usually nVidia card problem,its why I no longer have one.Also when installing mods install one at a time,making sure each one works properly before adding another. heres also a load guide which is important to use to minimise conflicts

General Load-Order Guidelines

Here are the guidelines that I adhere to, personally.

~ Unofficial Oblivon Patch should always be first on the list. The fixes are great, but most aren't essential, so if a mod overwrites them its not a big deal, and the fixes have the potential for screwing up other mods if loaded later.

~ Offical Content (DLC's) should be loaded last, until you complete all quests associated with them (that includes buying all furniture for the houses and whatnot). Once they're complete, they can be safely moved up in the list. This is especially important for Knights of the Nine, which will have some fairly major problems unless loaded last (unless you get the UOP for KotN)

~ Major overhaul mods (OOO, Frans, MMM) should be loaded near the end. That gives you the most complete experience with any of those particular mods. It also lets you carefully choose which other mods to load afterwards... only move mods that you know will conflict and that you want the changes from. For example, I have Improved Soul Gems below OOO because I know that OOO changes the icons of some of the SG's, and ISG needs to be below to show through.

Some people will recommend putting larger mods first, but personally I disagree. There are a number of mods out there that make minor tweaks, and loading after a large mod will end up completely overwriting a chunk from one of the bigger mods because of the way conflicts work in Oblivion (even one minor change will take precedence over the entire record... for example, simply tweaking the speed of a weapon can cause every stat of that weapon to be retained to vanilla levels if loaded later).

So basically, it stacks up like this...

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Minor Mods / DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mod/Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

Expanded Load-Order Guidelines

by dev_akm

I would extend this to include:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Weather/Environment/Sound Mods>

<Minor Mods/New Items/Houses/DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

<Quests>

<Compatibility Patches/UOMP/Merged Leveled Lists>

And a special-case warning for Knights.esp (Knights of the Nine) -- you may not be able to move it earlier than some other mods (some people have had problems after moving it before OOO, for example).

That's basically the structure I use and I have 140+ mods working well together.

Another way of describing this (posted by DMan77):

Oblivion

unoffical patch

Deeper realism mods that add sights and sounds

added content like weapons/items

gameplay changes, like 'must eat and sleep'

The OOO type

the 'new begining' type mod..

................................................................................

also try a defrag and a hard drive clean. make sure your PC is cooling propely also and try setting your resolution back a bit

There is a mod for Nvidia black screen problems - It won't stop them all, but it helps.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13632

Also, if you keep hitting the black screen in the same place constantly, turn off both HDR and Bloom. Then you can usually get passed that point and turn them back on. Not a fix, but a work around that allows you to play.

This can also be caused by an overheating graphics board. To check, turn you graphics settings to minimum and try again. You should be able to go much longer before the problem.

Clean the dust out of your computer, especially fans on the video board and CPU. If you have never opened your case you will be amazed at how much dust is in it. be sure to unplug it, not just turn it off before cleaning. When cleaning, don't neglect the power supply.

There are several black screen bugs. Some still happen on occasion even

with the fixes. One of them will go away if you light a torch.

Minimising Oblivion with ctrl/alt/delete is always risky. Sometimes the game will run OK when you return, but not always.

Using the "switch to" tab in task manager is the safest way to return to the game and not have if lock up.

Using it to get out of the game when it locks up will work sometimes, but often a lock up will require a reboot.

Sometimes my game will crash several times. When it does this I find that a reboot with windows (not the reset button)

will help as my machine is set up to clear the Page File on shut down. This also clears the RAM. My game

will usually run well for a long time when I do the above.

The - Fast exit - plugin will stop the black screen and error message when exiting the game.

You need OBSE installed for it to work, but it will work every time.

Oblivion will always crash when you least expect it. It just should not do it all the time.

eg - every few minutes. It's really a matter getting everything installed properly on an optimised

system, and with the game settings optimised to suit your systems capabilities.

Careful installation procedures, and patience.

Archived