How to install Mods for Fallout 3

was this helpful   

197 members have voted

1. 1. was this helpful at all???

• Yes !!!! thankyou
    • No....nothing i try works......
    • alittle bit
    • i`m just clicking this because i dont know what i`m doing ???

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new Fallout 3 main loading screen for my game. Anyone really know how to install it and make it work? I did it once when I had XP a couple yrs ago, but I got win7 now.

Help...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everybody!

Recently I purchased Fallout 3 GOTY Steam version (download).

So, I downloaded the latest FOMM and some mod archives.

Mod manager works and packet manager seems to install everything in /data.

But...The mods won´t appear in the FOMM list, they remain in the packet manager window.

So it´s not possible to change loading sequence etc.

When F3 is launched via FOMM, the mods do not work.

When launched via provided launcher script, mods seem to take effect (tested only with MTUI for the time being)...

Another strange thing is, that neither FOMM nor Package Manager show anything in the little picture frames...

I read all the posts about installing mods, but I can´t find any solution.

Strange, since it seems to work out for most of the people here...

FOMM is installed in /steamapps/common/Fallout 3 GOTY/

I´m running WinXP SP3

Any ideas?

Help is appreciated since I am starting to get mad after hours of trying ;-)

FOMM is installed in /steamapps/common/Fallout 3 GOTY/

That part is why you cannot see the mods.

FoMM should not be installed into that directory. un-install it, the reinstall it into another directory. Doesn't really matters where, as long you don't install it somewhere under "Program Files" or into the directory it's currently installed in.

Thanks for replying!

:-)

I deinstalled FOMM and reinstalled in I:\Games\GEMM, but it still doesn´t work :-(

FOMM starts up without any glitches and even remembers the paths to \mods and \install info, but the mods (I have now MTUI and the NMC package) are only listed in the packet manager´s window.

In FOMM´s window only F3 and the extensions (.ems - Anchorage, The Pitt etc.) are listed.

Also, nothing is displayed in the preview panels.

So, unfortunetely there seems to be a greater problem, maybe in my system preventing FOMM from working correctly.

As I understand, with New FOMM-640-0-13-21.exe FOSE, ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated!.exe etc. are no longer needed?

(I have now MTUI and the NMC package)

Well, that explains it. Neither of those mods actually have or need any plugin files (.esp's). Let alone master files (.esm's). That's why you can't see them in your load order.

The fact that your FoMM does display the DLC's in the load order shows FoMM is working just fine now.

Though if you want to be 100% sure plugins will show up in your load order, you could always give downloading a mod which has one or more plugin files a try and see if it's plugin(s) show up.

As I understand, with New FOMM-640-0-13-21.exe FOSE, ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated!.exe etc. are no longer needed?

The ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated tool indeed is integrated into FoMM, but you'll still need to have FOSE.

Edited by BlackRampage

Thanks again for your hints!

I installed FOSE and yepp, it launches F3 using file/laucnch game/launch FOSE in FOMM

:-)

So far, so good.

I am relieved that basically FOMM runs and that it depends only on the file format for a mod to appear in FOMM window. I will try further and report ;-)

Update: Yesss, I installed Fellout (looks great) and DLC compatibility package and it shows up in the FOMM window! I can activate and deactivate, change sequence etc. Nice! :-)

So, .esp packages seem to work.

OK.

Other packages like NMC or Project Beauty can be installed via packet manager, but do not have any effect. So I assume they have to be installed manually since scripts are missing? Or is there a way of FOMM hadling it to activate/deactivate, deinstall, etc.?

Does it matter how I launch F3 through FOSE, launch directly or through the original launcher?

Yeah, a lot of questions again, but getting closer step by step ;-)

Edited by BurnTwice