How to install Mods for Fallout 3

was this helpful   

197 members have voted

1. 1. was this helpful at all???

• Yes !!!! thankyou
    • No....nothing i try works......
    • alittle bit
    • i`m just clicking this because i dont know what i`m doing ???

When in reality anytime you add a mod that contains content in any folder, e.g. textures/meshes/sounds or any other folder you need to deactivate and reactivate archive invalidation invalidation to reset the archive flags for the new content. Most users do it through FOMM or ...

Buddah

[/color]

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you :).

I hadn't the slightest Idea I needed to toggle it on and off /again/ after installing new texturemods, this may be the answer as to why I'm not seeing some things ingame but am seeing others ... you are a GentleMod and a Scholar.

*edit* Drat, I spoke too soon, still a few known working texture swaps in the right directories that just won't show. Thank you anyway though. any ideas, anyone? */edit*

*second edit* And I figured it out ... my first rule is now, even if you think you've read the instructions, read them again, then check a couple of similar mods in case you don't know anything that 'everyone knows'. It all works now :D */edit*

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for posting this amazing walkthrough, it makes my life so much more simple. However, I do have one question, apparently I am having the same problem as the previous poster. Somewhere along the way, my game lost a few textures, so far, I have only noticed it on the Rivet City Guards, I believe it is a misplaced texture/mesh for the FOOK Uzi and a few other guns. if someone could tell me or screenshoot me a picture of the proper placements for these guns I would be most grateful. If perhaps its a problem with my load out, I will post my current load order.

Fallout3.esm
FakePatch_v1.5.0.22c.ESM
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
CALIBR.esm
FOOK.esm
CRAFT.esm
FWE_FO3_Wanderers_Edition.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
HairPack.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esp
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - The Pitt.esp
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Operation Anchorage.esp
VATSFixOff.esp
FOOK.esp
FOOK - Anchorage.esp
Stealthboy Recon Armor - CRAFT.esp
FOOK - The Pitt.esp
FOOK - Broken Steel.esp
FOOK - Point Lookout.esp
FOOK - Tougher Enemies.esp
FOOK - Strength Requirements for Miniguns, Gatlings, 20mm Flak.esp
FOOK - Additional Power Armor Training.esp
FOOK - Reduced Armor Boni.esp
FOOK - Free Play After MQ.esp
FOOK - Owned!.esp
FOOK - Fawkes Quickfix.esp
MyFOOK - The Pitt Ammo Press.esp
CALIBRxMerchant.esp
FWE_01_COMBAT.esp
FWE_02_COMBAT_II.esp
FWE_03_CHARACTER.esp
FWE_04_CHARACTER_II.esp
FWE_05_ITEMLOOT.esp
FWE_05_ITEMLOOT_II.esp
FWE_05_ITEMLOOT_III.esp
FWE_06_SPAWNS.esp
FWE_07_IMMERSION.esp
FWE_08_FEATURES.esp
FWE_00_QUEST.esp
FWE Compatibility - FOOK.esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - FOOK + FWE.esp
WeaponModKits - FOOK.esp
WMKAA12Shotgun.esp
WMKAA12Shotgun - FOOK.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK + FWE.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Increased Spawns.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Hunting & Looting.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - No Corpse Flies.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
CRAFT - Activation Perk.esp
TheOutbreak - WMS Vanilla Combo Pack - C24H.esp
UPP - Pack 1.esp
UPP - Original Perks.esp
UPP - Pack 2.esp
UPP  - Quest Perks.esp
UPP - Experience Perks.esp
UPP - Beverage Perks.esp
Existence2.0.esp
Bottle That Water.esp
Rivens_Eyescapes.esp
eyes_hairpack_en.esp
hair_add_npc.esp

Total active plugins: 75
Total plugins: 76

PS: I did follow the guide more or less 'to the letter', so most answers about my setup can be derived from that. And once again, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me make my favorite game with my favorite mods playable again, I would be eternally grateful!

go back to where you got your mods from and read the readme for that mod, you may need to download the textures / meshs from somewhere else, also some mods have more than one set of files so when you install all the sets this makes them not work right just go back and have a little read of everthing for that uzi mod :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm real new to all of this every time I try and install a mod it does not work.

I have followed all of these steps and once I start fallout I click on data and don't see the mod I have installed.

One more thing when I use the mod installer I cant install them from package to the main loader screen just the utilty screen works for me and thoghts?

• 2 weeks later...
My original fallout 3 was installed in the default program files folder (Vista OS) long before I knew it wasnt beneficial to modding. Having finished the game, been to all locations except the irradiated bunker and finished the official dlcs I dont want to reinstall FO3 to another folder and lose everything I have done. I want to continue with my current character and evolve him through player mods. Is it possible for me to use archive invalidation invalidated and the other tools and mods if I turn off the uac to initiallly install them as needed and then turn the uac back on again? OR is there a way to move my install which guarantees I will keep all of my saves / game status? Please note I play my official dlc in Live at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got here like late yesterday night to download some things for my game. I didnt realize how much there was so i just kept downloading. it just occur to me to read the "readme"s and i forgot the Mod Manager. lol. trying to keep Fallout 3 interesting since its the only game Im taking on deployment. I would hate to be the one Marine sitting by the corner of the messdecks playing the game for the thousanth time all bored because I packed all my games away.

Long story short, this will help me keep fallout 3 interesting during my idle time in whereever we're kicking ass and I'm thankful for it. I wont have to spend my time playing the ridiculous games we make up. like dodgerock, or nutrock! they are what they sound...

Leave a Marine anywhere for Duty, give him 3 of anything and by the time you come to pick him up, he would have lost one of those 3 objects, broken another one, and made a game out of the last one!