Halo 2

Dark0ne

Halo 2 Multiplayer stuff

So pretty much what you're saying is that after years of development and massive hype, their huge improvement consists of adding things that have been standard for years in PC games?

• 1 month later...

Yes, lag on XBL.

Try a BTB match or play it long enough and you'll begin to understand what I meant in that review.

Also, I believe there is nothing ground breaking in Halo 2 online and yes, what they have is fairly common place in PC games online.

Obviously, not in exactly the same form but close enough. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I might as well fight my ground.

Bungie has admitted that matchmaking is flawed and no longer operates as it was designed to.

They claim that the load on the system is so great that it doesn't operate as it did during smaller tests with several hundred people on it.

The chances are you'll be paired with a US host and voila, a ping of at least 120ms, probably above to 200ms considering you aren't connecting to a server grade connection.

"So pretty much what you're saying is that after years of development and massive hype, their huge improvement consists of adding things that have been standard for years in PC games?"

I don't think I said that but there's nothing ground breaking about how Halo 2 works on Xbox Live.

Look at it this way.

Halo 2 has to be the biggest victim of cheats any game has seen in a long time.

Why is this? It's because the networking model behind it is one where the host's copy of Halo 2 doesn't check the data being sent by a client (being the player).

If I wanted, I could join somebody's game of Halo 2 where I'm not the host, just a player and disconnect my network cable. While the cable is disconnected, I decide to kill 5 people on my screen. I then reconnect my cable and the server catches up with my Xbox and those 5 players will fall dead for no apparent reason.

I could repeat the same trick but this time steal the flag, or arm the bomb.

Nice...