LordSn0w

Hello everybody!

I'm working on a quest mod for skyrim and your character meets a female nord (companion), and to get her to follow you (or marry) you must go through a quest to make her your friend. Her family was killed by a selfish buisness owner and you have to kill his family to avenge her parents. I need a female voice actor that has a good voice that isn't too deep for the lead role (companion). I need a mans voice that can sound like a boy in his 20s or 30s or 18-19, which will be the buisness owners son. Another female voice, for the daughter of the buisness owner, it needs to be a voice that isn't too low and if you are British or foreign it would be great. Another female voice for a woman in her 40s or 50s, again not too deep my still sounds a lil older(the mans wife).And finally a voice for the buisness man, a deep mans voice that sounds like they are in their 50s,

60s or 70s. If have a voice that might be anywhere near what I have asked, then please reply to this post and say what role you want. I will PM you a line that your character will say, and u can record it and send it to me, and most likely, since I won't get too many replies to this, you will have probably a 70% chance to get the job no matter what voice you have. If you can do 2 voices, or say u can do a young man in his 20s, and a good older man, that would be great! I will give u will credit for all the voice that you do. This will be a big quest so this is an easy way to get famous on the nexus sites, and all you have to do is record like 10-15 sentences (depending on your character), and send them to me.

Please help me make this huge mod I have been planning for a while.

Thx

Sn0w

NOTE: if you do not wish to cuss or say anything bad please tell me so I can change the script real quick if I have to.

If you want quality voice acting, I highly recommend you go to your local community theater and/or nearest college, or even high school drama departments and audition various people for the roles.

Acting (and voice acting in particular) is an art form few people have a genuine talent for, but the majority think they do, so the voices come off exaggerated, under stated, over emotional, etc. It's just like American Idol. Everybody thinks they are the next big thing when the truth is they shouldn't quit their day job. The fact that you have only a few lines for each character makes selecting the right people even more crucial because those actors have to convey more with less. The writing also has to be up to par, too, or it will come off amateurish even with somebody like Patrick Stewart lending his soothing vocal tones :wink:

You probably knew all of this, but I'm stating it here because half of the so-called voice acting in a lot of mods is sub par... Even if the community fawns all over them.

Somebody having credits doesn't mean the voice acting is good, either. Everybody starts somewhere, but if all somebody has are Youtube videos and (free) internet gigs as credits, you want to try and get performers a step above that... Even a high school drama instructor has the advantage of being a teacher who projects his/her voice on a daily basis and their life experience (gravitas) that may need to shine through with your older characters (Business Owner; Father, Mother) whenever you hear them to make them believable. This is how you make an emotional link with players and this is paramount in a follower Mod since players should want this character around them 24/7.

Think about some of the distinctive voices in Skyrim that are voiced by professional stage & screen actors who have been in the business for decades. You can match that quality, but only if you make a point to rise above the online community pool of amateurs. I know this sounds harsh, but voice acting is a huge part of video game production and that is precisely what a mod is: Producing content for a video game... And you want yours to be top notch (or close to it) since your name and others will be on it, right? :)

I agree with you completely, MidevalGuy. Not everyone could be a good voice actor, and many mods with custom voices that are popular, still aren't quite up to par. It takes practice, talent, and most importantly good writing for it to sound natural. You can see the voice acting in early games and laugh at it since back then they didn't have the funds to hire real actors. (Usually they just got the most epic sounding programer for the part). Even though they try real hard and are passionate about it, it still sounds off.

That being said, I don't think that the mod author here needs a Patrick Stewart, he just needs someone to fill the roles so they all don't just have his voice. Having voice acting, great or not, really affects peoples decision to download a mod.

I believe there are people who voice mods, you just need to contact them. I don't have any links or names on hand at the moment. Perhaps someone could provide them?

Edited by MostlyMuggie

Hey I'd like to take part in this i can't say I have any experience besides some theater plays but I'm very perfectionist so I wouldn't do it if i don't plan on making it good I can get a hold of some quality mics and I would just need some dialogues to send the audition I'll try out for the business man's son... if I'm not too late.

• 1 month later...

I would definately be interested in contributing my voice if you think I'm suitable.

Race: Caucasian

So far I have minimal experience. I'm an intermediate user of Audacity, and I've just purchased an AT2020 USB mic which gives me a much clearer sound. I'm terrible at other accents so it would just come down to my natural voice in different personas.

I'm Australian but I don't have the really heavy stereotypical Aussie accent. I also have a quite passable singing voice. I was recently given the opportunity of voicing a main character for Athstai's Dark Investigations Mod. (Which has an adult rating so I wont link to it) Some PG samples from the mod can be viewed below. At the time I was still playing around with microphones and setups to see what worked for me. Oddly enough, these lines were recorded using my HTC One smartphone. I can definately provide better quality now that I have the AT2020.

Some samples of my voice

Edited by MsAryes