Gems more common with all shopkeepers.

shortylickens

How do I make gems more common with all shopkeepers at every level?

Or failing that, at least more common with the Pawnshop vendors, and perhaps all the vendors in the Ragged Flagon.

I think it involves editing either leveled lists, or adding the original leveled lists to merchant chests. But I cant figure out who has what. Vekel The Man apparently uses the MerchantRiftenRaggedflagon chest, the only one thats listed which makes any sense. But I cant find the one Tonila uses, nor any of the other 4 merchants you have to unlock with the thieves random quests.

I added all the leveled lists I could find with gems to Vekels chest, but he only had a couple of gems when I went to see him. My character is level 29, but I want more gems at any level. I'd like characters to be able to buy stuff if they are willing to part with the money. Some side quests and some crafting items require better gems than I can find or purchase normally.

I'll do it myself if someone here doesnt want to go thru the process but would just explain it to me.

To find the chest a vendor uses, open up the npc's base for editing (don't actually edit it, just look). Under the factions tab, look for a factino which hints at seeling things (for tonilia, it's ServicesThievesGuildTonilia). Double click it to open it and go to the Vendor tab. If it's the right faction, then on the right, you'll see a cell and reference box. That's the cell their chest is in and the actual reference. Now, load that cell (for tonilia, its the cell she's in and that'll be true of most merchants). In the object list in the cell view, look for the reference to her chest (you can sort by type and scroll to containers). Double click it to get to the chest itself. Or just right click it in the cell view and select edit to go straight to editing it. Click Edit base to change what's in it. That's how to find the right chest and alter what's inside. (You probably a already knew at least the last part, but I want to be sure.)

For making the gems more common, you should just have to add a gem leveled item (or if there is one, increase the count). If you use LItemGems, then they'll have one gem per count (for each instance of the leveleditem in the chest, there'll be one gem when the player trades with them). So, if you want to make sure they have at least 10 gems every time their inventory resets, add LItemGems with a count of 10. You could check to see if it's working fairly easily using Tonilia herself since she doesn't originally sell any gems at all.

LItemGems, by the way, uses gems all the way up to flawless diamond. At level 28, though, you couldn't get any diamonds, flawless emeralds, or flawless diamonds. And flawless sapphires only appear once, so you wouldn't see very many. To do this for all merchants of a single type, you could probably just add this list to another leveled item list used by all of those merchants. Merchants aren't ever supposed to sell all of those. If you want them to have the normal gems they're supposed to sell, then use LItemMiscVendorGems25 or LItemMiscVendorGems100. The 25 vs 100 is the percent chance it'll be a gem. That's probably the reason you added so many but didn't have many available to buy. I put 150 LItemMiscVendorGems25 into Belethor's chest to make sure it worked, and he only had 47. If I wanted them to ALWAYS return a gem, so there'd be exactly 150, I'd use LItemMiscVendorGems100 because they'd never give the chest "none". LItemGems has a 0% chance none (so they'll always be there) just just LItemMiscVendorGems100. The biggest difference, then, is that LItemMiscVendorGems100 only contains the gems the vendors are actually supposed to sell.