New Guy Free/Automatically/Always On?

RBrim08

I would imagine, now, I've not actually tested this, but if you change it to require the rank of Squaddie in the DGC file, I think the OTS will unlock earlier, and you can get the ability as soon as you build it. So not instantly, but much earlier than normal.

I know this is late but I cannot seem to do this. All I get is this: I can't seem to find New Guy.

; OTS Upgrades

OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_Will_I, iCash=200, eRank=eRank_Sergeant)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_SquadSize_I, iCash=50, eRank=eRank_Sergeant)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_XP_I, iCash=125, eRank=eRank_Sergeant)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_HP_I, iCash=150, eRank=eRank_Lieutenant)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_SquadSize_II, iCash=75, eRank=eRank_Captain)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_XP_II, iCash=150, eRank=eRank_Major)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_Leader, iCash=50, eRank=eRank_Lieutenant)

The DGC.INI file wiki article only covers EU (which is all that was available at the time it was written). Some things are added by EW, and it looks like OTS "New Guy" might be one. (I don't have EW and stopped playing XCOM years ago and is the primary reason the wiki article has not been updated to include everything EW, so I can't really help except by making suggestions. Someone else with EW is welcome to update it.)

First, make sure you are looking in the EW DGC file and not the one in the EU folder. (This is the most common problem when people say they can't find something.) The key will be the "eTech=<name>" part of the line. This might (or might not) be "=eOTS_NewGuy" or "=eOTS_New_Guy". If the "OTSBalance" entry is missing, then you can try to add your own entry using the info from the UFOpedia, but don't try adding EW entries to EU as it won't have the supporting code.

-Dubious-

• 4 months later...

There are now better tools for modding upk files - say the UPKUtils v 7_3... (in particular the PatcherGUI utility, I -personally- like the [bEFORE_CODE] ... [/bEFORE_CODE] & [AFTER_CODE] ... [/AFTER_CODE] sections).

And XCOM:EU does have a XGFacility_Barracks.AddNewSoldier function that might be moded to give this functionality to Enemy-Unknown; slightly different coding - but this function does exist.

FYI - the EU OTS does have this 'New-Guy' feature (hiring Squaddies instead of Rookies) under a different title (i.e. "<name>"); and a "OTSBalance" entry -for this- should already be in the EU DGC file.

While I have yet to test this, I suspect that a moded upk file would result in Squaddies on the first / opening mission.

btw - I am currently investigating the possibilites of a mod allowing one to grant "Field Promotions" (in EU).

Edited by JDDysart