Enemy Within: Items slots modding.

jkjkhardcore

I am weary of messing with the ismallitems or ilargeitems (the latter I don't even know what it does) for EW. I used to mod the ini file with resource hacker allowing me to carry more than one item on solders. With deep pockets I could carry 3 items :).

However the foundry upgrade has a new ability tactical rigging (or something) that allows units to carry 2 items and I'd have to play through a game to find that my modification conflicts.

Does anyone know about slot modding?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can mod the ismallitems and it works with tactical rigging the same way it worked with deep pockets in EU.

Edit: oh and ilargeitems is for number of weapons but it doesn't work.

Okay, then maybe I'm just doing it wrong because I kept getting crashes after saving (good thing I had a backup)

EDIT: nope it doesn't work.

Opened with Resource hacker, RCdata > 1020 > 1033

Went through Kevlar and changed it from 1 to 2

Armors=( ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_NONE, ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE, ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE, ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE, Properties[0]=eAP_None, Properties[1]=eAP_None, Properties[2]=eAP_None, Properties[3]=eAP_None, strName="", iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar, iHPBonus=1, iDefenseBonus=0, iFlightFuel=0, iWillBonus=0, iLargeItems=1, iSmallItems=1, iMobilityBonus=0 )

changed to

iSmallitems=2... crashed every time.

maybe there is a step i'm forgetting it has been a while since i've done this.

Edited by jkjkhardcore

I got XMarksTheSpot's Grid view working with EW. I have a Toolboks format mod file for it but ToolBoks 1.5x won't install ...

Ok I really like that picture, can you really carry all those items? Lol that's crazy.

Idk what the external ini is, could you elaborate on that? I'm thinking of downloading this xmarksthespot's mod. Actualy i'm gonna go look for it now.

EDIT: google searching turns up nothing for xmarksthespot, except an achievement.

AFAIK toolboks doesn't work.

Edited by jkjkhardcore

Resourcehacker modifies the EXE internal 'resource cache' version of the various INI files. XMarksThe Spot's mod alters the loose version of the INI file found in the CookedPC subfolder (after decompressing it and removing the related .uncompressed_size file). See the wiki article 'Modding XCOM:EU 2012'.

A ToolBoks Custom Mod contains the changes needed, but as a safety precaution ToolBoks won't work with patched versions of the files it wasn't written for. You can use the info in a CM to make those changes manually, but the offsets from older versions might be off, and the hex sequences as well if the patch altered that part of the code.

Proceed with caution and backups.

-Dubious-

Resourcehacker modifies the EXE internal 'resource cache' version of the various INI files. XMarksThe Spot's mod alters the loose version of the INI file found in the CookedPC subfolder (after decompressing it and removing the related .uncompressed_size file). See the wiki article 'Modding XCOM:EU 2012'.

A ToolBoks Custom Mod contains the changes needed, but as a safety precaution ToolBoks won't work with patched versions of the files it wasn't written for. You can use the info in a CM to make those changes manually, but the offsets from older versions might be off, and the hex sequences as well if the patch altered that part of the code.

Proceed with caution and backups.

-Dubious-

Wow thank you Dubious that was a lot of information.

So far from what I've seen toolbox and resource hacker don't work on the expansion but XMarksThe Spot does.

Where can I find xmarks the spot?

Edited by jkjkhardcore

To make it read the the external INI

Modifying the XCOM EW executable, by changing the following:

<Patch>
    <!-- Read DefaultGameCore.ini from Config Folder  -->
    <Find>   25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6e 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 58 00 43 00 </Find>
    <Replace>25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6e 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 57 00 43 00 </Replace>
  </Patch>

Still works, and allows you to modify the XEW\XCOMGame\Config\DefaultGameCore.ini and have the changes show up without needing modpatcher.

I'll post a step by step for you when I have more time if you need it.

Attached the updated EW ToolBoks mod for when ToolBoks is updated or I have time to explain manual install.

Just for clarification (because I am not running EW myself), from other reports it appeared that EW was reading modified loose INI files like the XEW\DGC.INI without requiring a mod to the EXE. Did you confirm that the EXE mod was necessary, or did you just assume it was needed and tracked down the fix?

-Dubious-