FOSE Disables 4GB LAA - How do you play with mods ?

surg23

I'm running FWE amongst other cool mods that rely on FOSE to work. The game runs like a retard if not made LAA via the 4GB patcher.

So essentially, you can't play FO3 with mods that require FOSE ?

Been searching high and low for a FOSE version that doesn't disable the patch, like the one for New Vegas. But so far I haven't found anything.

So there is really only one option: play without the only mods that make this game enjoyable. :(

A false assumption. FOSE doesn't needs to be made LAA because that's not the .exe the game runs on.

Just open the taskmanager while running Fallout through FOSE and you'll see that the only .exe being used is Fallout3.exe.

launching: Fallout3.exe (E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Fallout3.exe)
clearing large-address-aware flag
recorrecting exe checksum (00E59548 -> 00E59528)
crc = FE5B82AE
hook call addr = 00C05F61
load lib addr = 00D9B0F0
dll = E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fose_1_7.dll
remote memory = 001D0000
old winmain = 006EE300
launching

Well, I assume it's doing something funky because when I start with FOSE the game runs like it did with no patch. If i start the game with Fallout3.exe the game runs fine.

Problem is I need FOSE to make FWE work. Afaik only older versions of FOSE worked with patcher, but since the game is now at a higher version it also requires the newer FOSE version which disables the flag.

Just like to point out that FOSE will remove the 4GB LAA flag from the game when you run the game via FOSE_Loader.exe. What I mean is that Fallout3.exe will have the flag but when FOSE runs, it will remove it while it is doing it's thing, so whenever you run the game via FOSE you are actually not benefiting from the 4GB LAA patch. Any game instance created by FOSE_Loader.exe will be limited to 2GB of RAM regardless of that 4GB patch you apply.

You can verify this by checking the log files that FOSE generates.

I've yet to find a way to over ride this behavior of FOSE.

I believe this is done because the 4GB patch would change around memory locations causing many existing FOSE plugins to not work and the devs did not want idiots complaining when they ran plugins that depended on the program not being 4GB aware, after they applied the 4GB LAA patch.

So basically the devs just locked any and all mods and users of there product in to having only 2GB of RAM to work with (At most), for the sake of backwards compatibility and less headaches caused by stupid complaints from less... computer literate people.

@BlackRampage - I didn't say anything of that sort. Maybe you read it wrong.

Edited by surg23

• 2 weeks later...

FOSE does not disable the Large Address Aware changes that you made. FOSE "clears" the LAA flag the same way the TSA "clears" a person when they go through airport security. I use FOSE and when I added the LAA along with NMC's texture pack, my game performance improved. If you did not get an improvement, then you did something wrong. It works for over 62,000 people.

It's just strange that F03 still runs like crap with the 4gb patch, but FNV runs perfectly with it. If its not FOSE causing the problem would it be the patcher itself ?

Like the FNV4G-FOSE launcher totally removes micro-stutter (64hz bug) but the FO3 FOSE launcher does not, with or without plug-ins. Thought maybe there was a reason behind this and was leaning towards FOSE.

Maybe I should come to terms with F03 being in this state forever. Well, thanks for your help with this.