Gimp error message

dkpittbull

I´m new to Gimp.

I installed Gimp 2.0 and the DDS plugin as per instructions on Nexus Wiki.

It´s been working fine with the DDS files I´ve worked on til now.

I have CBBE Bijin skins installed. They work fine in game.

I tried to load a texture file from this into Gimp and it gave me this error message:

Unexpected DXGI format (90)

I have also installed Texture Viewer from Github and this displays the File without any problems.

What do I need to do/download to make Gimp use this file type.

Much appreciate your help

Deedee

I installed Gimp 2.0 and the DDS plugin as per instructions on Nexus Wiki.

Try installing a newer version of GIMP, it comes with updated DDS support installed default.

Looking at the source code for the plugin that format (DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_TYPELESS) should be supported.

I was able to load a DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM image that I saved using paint.net into GIMP 2.10.32, the GIMP plugin uses the same code to handle both of those formats.

Thanks for replying.

My version is 2.10.32

The plugin I installed was the 64bit 3.0.1 version. I´ll try and uninstall the whole thing, reinstall and see if it changes anything.

I assume it doesn´t matter whether I use the 32bit or 64bit plugin.

By the way, is the Paint.net program you mentioned worth a try for a newbie?

Edited by dkpittbull

The plugin I installed was the 64bit 3.0.1 version. I´ll try and uninstall the whole thing, reinstall and see if it changes anything.

You should not need to install any plugin for DDS support, is built-in to GIMP.

GIMP's DDS support is still somewhat limited in version 2.10.32, it does not have support for the newer formats such as BC7. Hopefully the GIMP developers are working on that for a future version.

By the way, is the Paint.net program you mentioned worth a try for a newbie?

I would definitely recommend trying it. It has layers and plenty of other features, but it lacks some of the advanced features GIMP has such as layer masks and support for 16 or 32 bits-per-channel images.

It also has extensive support for various DDS formats.

Disclaimer: I wrote the plugin that Paint.NET 4.2.2 and later use for the built-in DDS support, so I am probably biased about the capabilities of that plugin and Paint.NET. :smile:

I tried uninstalling everything, and just installed the Gimp program.

It then refuses to recognize any DDS files. So I installed the plugin again and back to same problem.

Will recognize SOME DDS files and not others.

Maybe I´ll just trash it and try out Paint.net instead.

Don´t really want something that´ll create great masterpieces. Just want to modify existing files.

Edited by dkpittbull

This is off topic for the GIMP forum section, but I have one other tip about Paint.NET's DDS support:

If you set Paint.NET as the default program to open DDS files, it will provide Windows Explorer with thumbnails for files that use BC7 and the other DDS formats that the Windows DDS reading code does not support.