49 replies to this topic

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 19,920 posts
In response to post #117118963.

Spoiler

I've personally looked into this before and there was no evidence of abuse of the voting system, so I can say that your theory is incorrect. 

As to why collections get a lot of downvotes as they get more popular, we're hoping that bug reports will shed some light on this. We're considering having Vortex prompt the user to leave a bug report if they downvote a collection to help the curator understand what went wrong. 

dagaz74

dagaz74

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 681 posts
In response to post #117118963. #117122878 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

so people who write "nothing works" "I wasted my time" "the collection is outdated do not download it" and maybe they have 1 reply, does it all make sense to you?
really?
If you want to tell me we have decided so, so okay, I tell you ok, the site is yours, but do not question something that I have been checking every day for months because I simply care. Others may tell you that this doesn't make sense.
I don't say I don't want negative votes, but: 1) I make videos to show what the collection is like so you can't download it and then say it sucks 2) the collection works, you can't write (or not write but take for granted) that it does not work without asking for help.
Do you understand what I'm trying to prove? Negative votes are fine if it makes sense, but the quantities of negative votes that are not motivated simply because it is free and because it is anonymous are useless and only hurt the curators.
Then if we want to hide behind a blade of grass and say that everything is fine without even opening a speech, do as you see fit, the site is yours as I have already said: but by doing so you end the desire to continue.

GriffinIII

GriffinIII

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 140 posts
In response to post #117118963. #117122878, #117123648 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Maybe your collections actually just suck? Kidding, but what you're asking for basically exists. Sorting by endorsements is like a vote with no negative vote and it's the default sorting mode. Looking at the F4 page you show up fairly high, and ratings vary wildly across that page. I only use Wabbajack so there might be things I miss in this discussion but much of this applies to any system.

I think negative votes serve a purpose of quickly showing that something is wrong, not everyone wants to submit a bug report or leave a comment. Even if you bug users in vortex to submit feedback repeatedly (don't add this btw) there will still be plenty of people who click past it. You cannot force interaction. Adopting the Steam rating system seems like a great idea and adjustments can be made to improve it.

I don't think removing information is the answer, as we saw with Youtube removing dislikes, and it's ultimately up to the user how well they use the information provided. People who were already going to carefully analyze comments before downloading will do so, people who grab the first pack at the top of the page will do so, people who see any hint of dissent and leave will do so.

I would like to see a way to view past votes and revise them. Lots of people revise their Steam ratings after something gets fixed, and they can be easily viewed in one spot on your account. This might be harder for Collections since there's no comment attached to votes but I think it's still something worth investigating. Maybe this is a thing and I can't see it because I haven't voted.

On a different note, you could serve to be a little less hostile in your opening paragraph on your collections. Yes it sucks to get negative feedback but verbally punishing new users before they've even done anything sets a bad tone. Personally if I see someone starting off a new conversation with a tinder "move on" I do exactly that, even though I rarely leave feedback at all. Just like that you've turned a potential download into a loss.

Also like, they're just mods. If you get downvoted to hell and nobody downloads your mod anymore who really cares? My favorite mod is not my most popular, I make them for fun. To quote your own page, "...ask yourself first what you are doing with your life. :)"

Edited by GriffinIII, 01 November 2022 - 04:37 pm.

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 19,920 posts
In response to post #117120903. #117124353 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

We've mentioned that feature specifically in the "What's next?" section at the bottom ;) 

dagaz74

dagaz74

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 681 posts
In response to post #117118963. #117122878, #117123648, #117123738 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

I agree to have negative ratings, as you say, Steam is a great example: there is the name. you take responsibility. If I see a negative vote I read it, I try to understand the arguments. If it says "trash" I just don't consider it. I think steam has a great method. It hurts me when a person can't get it to work (maybe they get stuck at the ENB black screen or haven't activated all the plugins in the vortex TAB) and say "it sucks" or "it doesn't work".
So negative votes are welcome if motivated, but that way simply doesn't make any sense.
Try to understand the opening sentence, it is frustration for this condition: I don't need a negative vote just because you want to put it, but I want to help you to let you play what you see in my videos, as I have been helping everyone for several months now. So if I'm willing to help you, to talk, to understand what you don't like, why is it that a bunch of unidentified people simply have more power? This is what I try to explain and maybe google translate doesn't help me at best :D

Edited by dagaz74, 01 November 2022 - 05:19 pm.

Xilandro

Xilandro

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,357 posts
In response to post #117121123. #117121703, #117122693 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Iirc, Nexus Next was planned to launch (roughly) years ago. It's the same old story "you guys just wait a bit more, everything will happen. Just wait".
Adding "Beta uploads to gather feedback with delayed public release", "Please make bug tracker good", or "Make mod upload less painful" (with details of course) to new feedback page is no different than all those similar posts on forums for the last decade. Answer to them is always "yeah we're planning to do that, as soon as possible"
Not trying to disrespect you, I'd never, but even your answer here is pretty much that.
The problem with all of this - the wait never ends.
I understand that priority for things shifts and changes, and regular user experience is gonna be higher. And famous phrase "they b*** and whine, but keep using the site anyway" applies as well. But it shouldn't be an excuse to put important things into the backburner for so long.
Giving us better tools to manage our work means only one thing - we can make more mods with less headache. I've a dozen mods just sitting on my drive unreleased (or released privately), and #1 in top 3 reasons why, is "oh god, nexus upload, please no", #2 "bug report section is awful, it's hard to use, I don't want to use it, no surprise users ignore it as well", and #3 is "mod will be lost in the backlog, before I have a chance to gather enough feedback to fix the bugs, especially with the #2"

Eh, a bit rant'y reply, but I'm a very special pithecanthropus, I rant even when I'm trying to not to. Unga bunga, much love to yall <3

Edited by Xilandro, 01 November 2022 - 05:32 pm.

RedMetalShield

RedMetalShield

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

?To leave a bug report you must be logged in to a Nexus Mods account and have already downloaded the Collection. ?

So if my mods get featured in a collection, I have to download the collection first to add a bug report?
This is not very good in my opinion. From my experience I was able to spot conflicts/bugs in collections which featured my mods right away without downloading the collection, often because other mods in the Collections were heavily incompatible or redundant (which I would argue should count as a "bug"), or had indirect conflicts due to scripts.
I also don't even use Vortex, I use MO2. I don't want to install Vortex and entire collections to report (obvious or already known) bugs or incompatibilities.

Mod authors of mods featured in a collection should be able to report bugs as well without having to download the entire collections first, especially because some Curators tend to never look into their DMs.

GriffinIII

GriffinIII

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 140 posts
In response to post #117118963. #117122878, #117123648, #117123738, #117124858 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Ah so it's a language barrier. Yeah google translate isn't quite working for whatever language you're using. Let me help you create a better opening paragraph then.

"This collection is very stable and I work hard to keep it that way. If you think you've found a bug please leave a bug report or comment and I'll do my best to help you! Please ask for help instead of just a dislike, it helps me improve the collection. My YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/c/vaultboy101mods) has examples of all of my mod collections, thanks for checking it out :)"

Unfortunately you'll never completely solve people not reading the description, but asking for feedback and giving a reason why it will help can only improve the chances.

dagaz74

dagaz74

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 681 posts
In response to post #117118963. #117122878, #117123648, #117123738, #117124858, #117126118 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

BTW, the new style is awesome, I really like it! hope it will be possible to edit soon, atm isn't responding

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 19,920 posts
In response to post #117126033.

Spoiler

We considered this during the design of the feature but there isn't much value in allowing it at the moment.

As you say you've never used the feature you might not be familiar but a Collection can be fairly involved setup, rather than being a simple list of mods. On the surface you might be right about a potential issue, however, the curator may have already catered for that issue using a bundled conflict resolution patch, mod rules, or through binary patching or omitting certain files from the installation. So you can't know for sure that there's a problem unless you actually test it for yourself. I'm sure you'd prefer people play your mod before adding bug reports to your mod page? 

That said, if you refuse to use the feature and/or don't want to download it, you can freely leave a comment in the comments thread or send the curator a PM. Neither of these require you to have used the collection. If they don't see your PM, they probably won't respond to the bug report either but the top curators are always happy to engage with mod authors. As noted in the "What's next?" section, we're currently building a new comments section to replace the current forum-based implementation so these will be part of the page - as they are with mods - in the future. 

On the technical side, it would actually not be trivial to grant this anyway. We'd have to dynamically add/remove special permissions from a collection based on if it currently contains your mod. There are also considerations like "Revision 1 contained my mod, but Revision 2 does not, should I still be able to report without downloading?". If you download the collection we also have some context as to which revision you tried and found a problem with. 

If you're having some specific issue that you'd like to discuss, feel free to drop me a PM - I'm happy to try and poke a specific curator if you can send me the details. :)

You're welcome to suggests this on the new feedback site though and if it gets a lot of votes we'll revisit the decision. 

Edited by Pickysaurus, 01 November 2022 - 06:14 pm.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.761 seconds