Adding custom hair to custom races

Abicion

I'm tinkering with the construction set at the moment, trying to create a small mod for myself. I like how Nec's Mystic High Elf Remake race looks, but the hair selection is pretty blegh if you're not a hardcore Ren fanboy.

Basically, I'm trying to add all of the Corean, Saram, and Soya hair files from my meshes\characters\dreamwalker\hair and textures\characters\dreamwalker\hair directories to the Mystic High Elf Remake's ESP, but, as the hair files aren't from the vanilla Oblivion library, I've run into a snag. With the Mystic High Elf Remake ESP as the active file in the construction set, the hairs that the Dream Walker race installs are only visible in the drag and drop menu explained in this guide when the Dream Walker ESP is loaded. Without it active, the list only shows vanilla Oblivion hairs and the Ren hairs that the Mystic Elf race uses. If I load the Dream Walker ESP, drag and drop the Dream Walker hairs to the Mystic Elf hairs list, and save the Elf ESP, the next time I open the Elf ESP it just gives me a long list of File Not Found errors for each hair style I tried to import (even if I load the Dream Walker ESP with it) and the hairs never appear on the in-game character creation screen.

I get that I'm definitely going about this wrong. My question is simple: How do I get the custom hair resources to show up in the hairs library so I can properly import them?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have only found a quite time consuming solution for this problem:

1.) Open (and set active) your race plugin.

2.) Character -> Hair -> click right on any hair style -> choose “New”

3.) Enter an ID.

4.) Type in a name and check "Playable".

5.) Add Nif File -> pick desired hair mesh. (Found under Meshes->Characters->f.e. Saram) I recommend using Nifskope, so you can see which hair style you are about to choose.

6.) Add Image File -> choose the respective texture file.

7.) Click “Ok” and drag & drop the hair style as described. Save.

Basically you need to create a new hair style in order to show up the hair properly. (And please excuse my bad English…)

Edit: If you don't like Ren's hairs at all you can also try to replace them by simply changing the meshes as described.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

First, I'd like to thank these guys for helping me, even though this is an old thread.

I found this thread through google, sorry for necroing it.

I've never modded a .esp file before, I've only just downloaded mods.

I wanted to copy Desuchan's Dolls hair over to the Synx Race.

The Synx race only has Cool Sims hairs, and I wanted more variety.

My method I used was a little different, and easier.

Go into TES Construction kit.

Activate the race you want done.

Check the race you want to copy hairs from.

At the top click character... > race, find the race you want done.

Click the body data in the race menu, hair menu is on the right side.

At the top click character > hairs...

For each hair, right click > duplicate.

Drag and drop that hair COPY * down to the Race Menu.

Save.

You need both race files for it to work since it's using the other races files.

It saves time instead of creating new, and applying textures.

I hope this helps anybody else having trouble!

Edited by PyroPhoenix

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys, I been trying to figure this out, I am trying to get Rans hair installed. I followed the instructions above but stopped at ADDING a texture file. Rans file only contains meshes so what do I use for a texture file one of Rens hair textures?? :wallbash:

Edited by Drakkz

• 4 weeks later...
If I remember correctly, Ran's hair uses the hair textures of Ren's Beauty Pack (or a similar mod which contains these hair textures). So you need to install this mod first before using Ran hair meshes. Some of the male hair styles of Ran's mod use the hair textures of HS-Hair but I'm not sure if this mod is needed as well.