[LE] Best way to set up blood magic spells?

Hope I'm not starting to clutter up the forum with all my silly questions lately lol

Along with the other magic spells I've had questions about, I'm also making a few Hemomancy spells that cost HP instead of magicka.

I've done this in the past by script, causing a specific amount of damage when the spell is cast and making the spell cost 0 magicka.

I was just wondering if perhaps it would be better to set up a secondary spell that does health damage targeted at self that is cast by the hemomancy spell being used.

Or maybe there's an even better way to go about it that someone could suggest?

Edit:
Doing research, I discovered there's a vanilla spell that I either didn't know about or forgot about that costs HP and refills MP (was actually one of the spells I planned to make, guess I don't need to now lol) after dinner I will have a look at that spell and see how it's done, while still open to suggestions, I'll more than likely do it however that spell is done.

Edit2: Vanilla spell is Equilibrium for anyone who comes across this looking for info on something similar.

EDIT3:
For those looking to do something similar.
Equilibrium is a great start point for anything that is concentrated or fire/forget self. Which luckily, most of my blood spells were.

HOWEVER, I did have a few that I had to script instead. If it's a fire/forget aimed, you'll need to add a script on effectstart to cast a damaging spell on caster. OR, probably the lazier way is to just make a script on effectstart, akcaster.damageav("health", #). However, that will always be a solid number. If you make the script cast a spell at caster instead, you can scale the damage depending on whatever you want through the 2nd spell.

The lazy way is the way I did it in the past, for everything, even self spells. But these days I feel that's clunky. It still works, it's "good enough", but personally, I'd suggest going the cast spell @ caster route.

Edited by saintgrimm92