The best way to procede when creating a large mod

CrisSpiegel

The best way to manage a large mod creation?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best way to procede when creating a large mod with lots of quests?

• Do the general layout of the main dungeons, only the main NPCs and basic quest stages and goals. Do everything like that, then go back to beginning and flesh it all out.
    • Work fully on a dungeon, with all the details, fully voicing the NPCs with all the dialogues. Just move on to the next dungeon or quest after the previous one is all ready. Do the same for cities and other major places across the worldspace.

So I have a doubt regarding the process of creation. I have been doing the thing lacking the needed discipline. The whole thing feels like a Swiss cheese. So I have to decide what I gotta do. I have two strategies in mind: hasting through the main basic design with no attention to details and, only after all is defined, going back to the beginning and flesh it all out. The second one is to start a city and only stop after the last character and the last house interior is done, them moving into a dungeon and doing all that should happen there. And them, moving on to the next quest/dungeon/city.

Thank you for leaving your opinion.

It's largely a personal question. The answer is whichever one will keep you motivated to finish it. Are you the type that would get discouraged when hours and hours of work haven't resulted in anything fully complete yet? Or are you the type to keep going until the entire thing is done? Would you stop half way through if parts of it are complete, thinking "Good enough." Or would that only motivate you to get started on the others?

This is how I do it:

1. completely outline the mod.

2. I create the characters

3. I create the quests and dialogue.

4. I create the worldspace/dungeon

5. Test-fix-test-fix-test-fix and test some more. Somebody will always find something that has to be fixed.

Good Luck and if it is your first mod, start small and let it grow.

Working on big projects is the same no matter what it is. The best way to deal with it is simple:

You get a base layout. You work with the base until happy. You detail is.

Why is this the best? Simple:

When you work in details, you will quickly see yourself blind on your own work. This happens to everybody, and is why everybody seeks feedback on their work. In their mind it looks either good, or terrible. They can't tell why though.

Hence it is a lot easier to get a base layout done. If something bothers you at point A, you can go to point B. If something is odd in point B, go to point C. Go back to Point A or B and flush out the problems.

How I would tackle any big project, no matter if it is modding or IRL:

- Get perspective. What is it that must be done?

- Break it down into pieces. What things must I do?

- Look at each piece and map out how and what. Do I know what I should know? Can I use placeholders untill the end?

- Get a base done. Look at every piece, choose a starting point and simply base it out.

* For instance, for a model you would make a base mesh. For a custom mesh I would make a 5 min sketch in photoshop. For a custom dungeon I would make a overhead view in Photoshop. Other options are using placeholder models/dungeons/NPCs inside the CK and just get something out there.

- Look at what is there. It is raw, but it is something. It went fast. Does this work with what I had in mind? Should I change something?

- Start somewhere. Layer it. With the base, add some custom NPCs. Add some secret rooms. Maybe some big clutter. Does this look better? Can I work with this?

- Keep layering. Change between parts. Dungeon is done, but lacks clutter. Move on to another piece. Perhaps this NPC needs a story? Perhaps I could outline my quest?

- Go back and forth between the pieces, keep layering. You'll eventually get to the end.

- Details, details, details.

The whole idea is to not tunnel-vision yourself. You work in layers, you work with pieces. That way you can change back and forth when you get frustrated or bored. If something looks wrong, instead of working for 5 houres figuring out why, you work on something else. Perhaps that makes the first thing look better? Perhaps you got a new idea now? Perhaps you know what is wrong?

Matth

Thank you all, people.

Matth, your argument is very solid. Going by layers makes you able to see it all globally at the whole time of production and, at the same time, we keep the mindset of the stage while we're in it, so when we learn something new, it's easy to go back and apply it on a problem we couldn't solve earlier.

I think I just have to concentrate, keep the rhythm and resist temptations like fleshing out a new monster to the end when all I need is just a placeholder. But, of course, I can always take a break from the main thing and try something different.

Thanks, guys!