Deleted2078861User

I think you've already answered your own question. :wink:

The biggest disadvantage of PCs is the start up cost to buy a good one. You also need to be at least mildly technically savvy (or have friends who are).

I don't see much of a reason to own a console anymore... the last one I bought was a Gamecube, which didn't see too much use. I used to enjoy console gaming on the side of PC, because the market was primarily dominated by Japanese games which offered a genuinely different experience. With the Xbox 360, there was a paradigm shift. Western, former PC-centered developers took over and pushed out the Japanese to irrelevance. The few Japanese games that are left now are usually too niche for me to enjoy. So what we're getting now on consoles are pretty much gimped, watered down versions of what I used to play on the PC 10-15 years ago.

Then there's the fact that the convenience and ease of use factor has been gradually chipped away by the console manufacters, so the days of just inserting a game and enjoying it from the get go are coming to an end. Thus consoles have largely become more like PCs, but without any of the real advantages like modding, free online and the open environment.

Edited by lazyskeever

To be honest, console vs PC also depends on where you live. Around here, a PS4 or Xbox cost over 5200HRK at the moment, which is close to 1000$ per unit. A PS3 is somewhere around 500$ right now. For that kind of money I can build a PC that will rock through the entire console generation and operate quite a bit better (not to mention it's an actual computer). The actual graphical detail doesn't matter to me (I'm a Tetris/Super Mario generation), my only demand is for the game to run smooth (aka, at 30FPS).

Plus, if we're going to account for full cost of both systems from ground-up, a console actually costs more. Let's put it like this - a 500$ PC is a nice machine for gaming, won't be anything high-end but it's decent. Monitor, speakers and peripheral devices would cost about 250-300$ more if you're not looking for anything fancy-looking. A console costs 450-500$ (depending on machine), and you need a TV which costs another 500$ if you're looking for one that will actually last through it's warranty period. So PC is 700$ while console is 1000$ if you're building both systems from ground-up.

And there are a few aspects that weren't mentioned - upgrading is one, since PCs can be gradually upgraded for better performance/details than consoles, no need to replace the whole thing once new parts come out. Cost of upgrading is reduced since old parts can be sold and you get more money for a new component. And then there is overclocking too, which also ensures longer platform life in regard to performance.

Bottom line is - When it comes to quality and versatility, PC is eons better, it's a machine designed to be versatile. But a console is better when it comes to pure performance for low price and constant performance maintaining until EOL, console game performance impact doesn't scale with hardware since hardware itself doesn't evolve like it does on a PC, so game evolution is stagnant as well. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, so it's all about personal needs and preferences.

I am a bit biased though since I have a personal dislike of consoles and I use a PC exclusively, but I think (hope) I made a pretty objective post.

I think it's worth owning both if you can afford it, I play games, not machines so I want access to as many as possible. Had I just stuck to the PC I wouldn't have experienced the likes of Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, The Last of Us and all the other stuff that will never find its way onto the PC.